LPSTD review by Jim Deacon

Jim Deacon: LPSTD

Purchased from: McCormack's Music

Having said that, it suits my style of play. I play mostly blues and hard rock, a la Cream/Zeppelin/Hendrix. Undistorted, the rhythm pickup is warm and keeps bass notes rolling for seemingly ages. The treble pickup is nice and crunchy. I use this guitar with a Marshall MGDFX, and if I turn the gain up to about 3-4 and I Switch the guitar between pickups with the treble turned to 0 (tone-wise) and the rhythm to 7, then this guitar really performs! Think early Clapton with the tone, before he moved to Fenders (not that I'm puting down the Strat or Tele in any way.) It ain't far off the "Woman tone". Not bad for 160 quid.

Overall, I think this was a fantastic guitar for the money. It's RRP is actually 225 GBP but I got it for 160. Bargain! It suits the aforementioned hard rock/heavy blues but as with the real Les Paul it suits anything from jazz to punk via heavy metal. If it were stolen or lost, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't buy it again, not because I don't think it's a good guitar or anything, just because I'd want to make the step up to a real Gibson, most likely the SG. If I didn't have the dough for the SG at the time then I probably would buy an Epiphone Dot (ES-335) cause along with the SG and Les Paul, the 335 is one of my "(un)Holy trinity" of Gibson guitars and Epiphone semi-acoustics are of really good standard (and a Gibson 335 would cost like 2000 quid.) So, overall I think this is a superb guitar for those starting out on their rock'n'roll journey, ideal for a Les Paul nut also (me included), and an easy match for the Epiphone Les Paul. I'd rate it a very strong 8.

I'd say this guitar would withstand Live playing, maybe not Pete Townshend style, but I guess very few guitars do! Apart from the dodgy tuners and strap buttons I could depend on it to be up to the task on it's own. The finish is good old-school solid, though it did chip when I disastrously banged it of my desk.

When I got it, the action was great and low compared to what I was used to (a godawful '70s SG copy and a not-too-bad Strat copy from the same era, both were my father's but he never gigged with them. He was lucky enough to have a cousin who was willing to loan HIM a 1963 issue Gibson ES-335.) I did tinker with the action, and now it's so low that whenever I pick up the "Strat" (just for the hell of it) I realise how lazy I've got with playing! For all you anoraks out there, (not that I'm saying you are one if you like this sort of info) the strings are about 3.5mm from the fretboard at the 22nd fret. However, the A string buzzes something awful at the 1st fret, but that doesn't really bothe r me cause I rarely play that far down the fretboard anyway. There are some flaws, however. The strap buttons come loose really easily, but a screwdriver would sort that. One of the tuners is squeeking rather ominously, and one appears to be a bit loose whenever I have the strings off.

This is the Jim Deacon LPSTD, a Les Paul styled guitar. Standard Les Paul set up, 22 jumbo frets, Rosewood fingerboard and a set neck. The body is mahogany with a cherry sunburst flame top. The neck is mahogany and is comfortable chunky (though with the '60s style profile LP neck which was slimmer than that of the '50s models.) It has four gold "top hat" style volume/control knobs and a 3-way pickup selector. The guitar has cream binding and a cream pickguard, which great as far as I'm concerned (anything "Cream" is great if you get the hint)It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stoptail piece and two high output (covered) humbuckers. 3-a side tuners. The hardware is chrome plated. My only criticism is that the guitar came with hardly anything, bar the set of strings that were on it and a cable. No case, gig bag or strap.

006schecter
    yea, my local store sells loads of these, they are definetly great starter guitars!!
    gallagher2006
    Pretty underrated guitars, and are very durable and amazing for the price. I had mine for a few months n never looked back
    Ozeshin
    Here in Australia they are sold under the JD Luthiers name...nice looking guitars,set necks on the LP customs but because they're at the lower end of the price scale I have'nt ever tried one.
    guitarist41
    I got a black JD strat almost 4 years ago when I first started. I still play it even though I've got shit load better guitars. Any beginner who is buying the first electric should go for one of these, IMO.
    ECwomantoneman
    May I add that since writing this review I've banged the headstock off the ceiling and wall (twice), and thumped the body against a chair (all unintentionally) and (much to my amazement) the varnish hasn't chipped at all!(not like that polyurethene crap used on lower end Fenders and Gibsons)
    cmullin98
    i got mine today for 99 today new from mccormacks in glasgow. its black with gold hardware and they threw in a gig bag, headphones, picks, strings, a 20 Watt amp with FX, a lead and strap for 130 great bargain
    likmakhunt
    i just got a jim deacon deep bowl acoustic, mainly to take camping so if it got damaged i wouldn't be too upset, cost 130 and it sounds and plays fantastic, so much so that its never going camping again