LPSTD Review

6,116
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
LPSTD Reviewed by: ECwomantoneman, on november 13, 2006

Purchased from: McCormack's Music

Features: This is the Jim Deacon LPSTD, a Les Paul styled guitar. Standard Les Paul set up, 22 jumbo frets, Rosewood fingerboard and a set neck. The body is mahogany with a cherry sunburst flame top. The neck is mahogany and is comfortable chunky (though with the '60s style profile LP neck which was slimmer than that of the '50s models.) It has four gold "top hat" style volume/control knobs and a 3-way pickup selector. The guitar has cream binding and a cream pickguard, which great as far as I'm concerned (anything "Cream" is great if you get the hint)It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stoptail piece and two high output (covered) humbuckers. 3-a side tuners. The hardware is chrome plated. My only criticism is that the guitar came with hardly anything, bar the set of strings that were on it and a cable. No case, gig bag or strap. // 8

Sound: Having said that, it suits my style of play. I play mostly blues and hard rock, a la Cream/Zeppelin/Hendrix. Undistorted, the rhythm pickup is warm and keeps bass notes rolling for seemingly ages. The treble pickup is nice and crunchy. I use this guitar with a Marshall MGDFX, and if I turn the gain up to about 3-4 and I Switch the guitar between pickups with the treble turned to 0 (tone-wise) and the rhythm to 7, then this guitar really performs! Think early Clapton with the tone, before he moved to Fenders (not that I'm puting down the Strat or Tele in any way.) It ain't far off the "Woman tone". Not bad for 160 quid. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the action was great and low compared to what I was used to (a godawful '70s SG copy and a not-too-bad Strat copy from the same era, both were my father's but he never gigged with them. He was lucky enough to have a cousin who was willing to loan HIM a 1963 issue Gibson ES-335.) I did tinker with the action, and now it's so low that whenever I pick up the "Strat" (just for the hell of it) I realise how lazy I've got with playing! For all you anoraks out there, (not that I'm saying you are one if you like this sort of info) the strings are about 3.5mm from the fretboard at the 22nd fret. However, the A string buzzes something awful at the 1st fret, but that doesn't really bothe r me cause I rarely play that far down the fretboard anyway. There are some flaws, however. The strap buttons come loose really easily, but a screwdriver would sort that. One of the tuners is squeeking rather ominously, and one appears to be a bit loose whenever I have the strings off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd say this guitar would withstand Live playing, maybe not Pete Townshend style, but I guess very few guitars do! Apart from the dodgy tuners and strap buttons I could depend on it to be up to the task on it's own. The finish is good old-school solid, though it did chip when I disastrously banged it of my desk. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this was a fantastic guitar for the money. It's RRP is actually 225 GBP but I got it for 160. Bargain! It suits the aforementioned hard rock/heavy blues but as with the real Les Paul it suits anything from jazz to punk via heavy metal. If it were stolen or lost, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't buy it again, not because I don't think it's a good guitar or anything, just because I'd want to make the step up to a real Gibson, most likely the SG. If I didn't have the dough for the SG at the time then I probably would buy an Epiphone Dot (ES-335) cause along with the SG and Les Paul, the 335 is one of my "(un)Holy trinity" of Gibson guitars and Epiphone semi-acoustics are of really good standard (and a Gibson 335 would cost like 2000 quid.) So, overall I think this is a superb guitar for those starting out on their rock'n'roll journey, ideal for a Les Paul nut also (me included), and an easy match for the Epiphone Les Paul. I'd rate it a very strong 8. // 8

Comments