SG review by Jim Deacon

Jim Deacon: SG

Purchased from: McCormacks Music

I tend to play a lot of Metal and it suits it very well. The styles I would say it suits most is hard rock. It suits punk amazingly, blues brilliantly but soft rock is pretty crap with this guitar. I use it through a Marshall MG15CDR amp on the overdrive setting and the noise I can get out of it is incredible. I compared it to my friends guitar and I was always louder than him even though his 30 watt amp's volume setting was on 7.

As I said I play a lot of thrash and metal and this suits it excellently. I have been playing for around about a year and it does me good. If this got stolen or broken I would imeediately buy another one. The things I love about it is the awesome sound. The thing I hate about it is the pickups.

I have played a few live shows with this guitar and it is highly durable. At one show my strap (which I had got off of the Guitar Hero Controller by the way) snapped, my guitar bounced off the stage and had only a tiny scratch up the back of the body and I was able to play on without the sound being affected.

The action on this guitar was incredibly low and I could shred with ease. Everything else that fits under this category was good, except from the fact that I had one tiny flaw on the fingerboard which was an unsightly chip on one of the inlays. Also the neck pickupwould slip in and out of place when you applied pressure (which you don't generally do but anyway).

Basically what this is, a Gibson SG Special Copy. The body is made out of mahogany. It has two tone knobs and two volume knobs. The fingerboard is made out of Rosewood and has square inlays. I'm not sure what the pickups are but I think they might be humbuckers? Basically it's almost the exact same as the Gibson SG.

matasb
    man, if you're gonna rave about an sg, rave about a gibson. you should be shot for being tricked by today's commisionned salespeople.
    jon bon 12
    i just need to say this guitar has a scratchplate and looks like the sg standard and next if you can find a gibson for $250 (this is the price i paid) rave about it I was talking about how good the sound is for the price ok