SG review by Jim Deacon

Jim Deacon: SG

My style tends to be indie/soft rock/classic rock, and it suit's them. I'm not too sure about it's metal capabilities as I hardly play it although I'm sure it would be adept at it. The few punk songs I've played on it, it's proved itself worthy so it's a really versataile guitar. I use an Orange 30w amplifier and a Roland effects pedal, it's a good sound but I've tried my friends Gibson SG with these and the Gibson is twice as good although the JimDeacon one is still excellent.

I've been playing for 4 years and I've played on Gibsons (LP and SG) Fender (American Strat) Ibanez Jackson Gretsch Encore, I still prefer the Gibson SG over it, but for a beginner/budget guitar, it's excellent. If it were stolen/lost I'd probably go for a better quality guitar, like one mentioned in the list above. I love it's reliability and think SG's look better without a scratchplate. As far as feautures go it's quite plainish, a general SG body, no whammy bar or exciting feature. I currently own the Jim Deacon SG and an Encore accoustic, I'll soon be buying another guitar. I'd consider another Jim Deacon but have seen a lovely Jackson guitar which I'll probably get. I wish it had a whammy bar but I suppose it would look strange on an SG a Zakk Wylde finish would've looked great.

This guitar could proably withstand a nuclear blast, it's been knocked to the ground countless times, but there are only a few marks/chips/scratches that would prove this. The knobs are easily snapped/chipped as they stick out, I've had to file down around where it's snapped as it's quite sharp, the strap buttons could've been better, I've bought 4 different straps to check wether it was the strap or the buttons, I think the buttons are slightly too small. You could depend on this guitar and wouldn't have to think twice about backup for it. The finish seems good, it's only came off when bashed, after 4 years of playing it still looks new.

The action on the guitar was brilliant, but like I've said the neck bridge is loose. There were no flaws on the guitar when I bought it. My D string had a slight buzz on it, I used the graphite method and the buzz went away instantly. I would've preffered more adventurous inlays but the square ones are OK.

This is a Gibson SG Copy. The fingerboard is made out of Rosewood and has square inlays. It has two humbucker pickups and it has two tone knobs and two volume knobs. Mine has a cherry red finish. After 4 years, it's been a sturdy and excellent guitar that was worth every penny. The neck pickup is quite loose which takes away a point. - a set neck - 2 Humbuckers make unknown - 3-way selector - Mahogany solid Body - Tune-o-matic fixed bridge - Non-locking unknown brand tuner pegs and machine heads - Rosewood, thin neck

death eater
    it will definitly need a scratch plate and a new paint job... it looks like worn cherry in the photo.
    Lee Makky
    guys i aint joking i have this with a black pickguard in dark red vut this guitar actually sounds amazing... dont judge a book by its cover.