Nature review by Jixing

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Jixing: Nature

Price paid: A$ 82.5

Purchased from: Ebay

I play alternative rock and grunge. I use a Squier SE special amp with it. With this amp, the sound is quite muddied and distorted but lends a clean tone when playing lead. This sound is a bit too dirty for my liking and the pick ups are noisy, so they worsen it.. Used with a more expensive amp, like a Berhinger, the sound is not too bad.

It does suit the grunge sound, but there are issues needed to be fixed, so it has a more desired sound. It is an OK match, but certainly not the best in my opinion. I have been playing for about two years and I own a Fender Squier SE Special Strat electric guitar. Before buying this product, I would of asked to see higher definition pictures of the finish, so I could see the multi-coloured tree design and the chips. If this guitar was stolen, I would laugh because the thief wouldn't know how worthless the guitar is and I would buy another Strat copy to practice my luthiering skills on.

Yes, this guitar is extremely tough and robust, but would not be suitable for live playing because of its poor quality sound and hardware. I think the hardware will fail eventually because of its poor quality and the cheapness of the guitar. The strap buttons were not solid, and I had to replace them with spare strap buttons, but I think new holes will have to be drilled in the future. I can depend on this guitar to survive anything I can throw at it, but I would not gig with this guitar without a backup (I would only gig with this guitar if I had no choice). The finish on the guitar is extremely tough and has stood mostly intact for its lifetime, only having a few chips here and there.

Since this guitar is at least 3rd hand +, and was picked up from a garage sale by the previous owner, I have no idea of the factory set-up. The action on the guitar is sky-high and is a pain to fret past the 12th fret. The high e string buzzes a little when played open. The pick ups are a bit noisy. The bridge and tuners are starting to show signs of rust and the finish is chipped in areas, but thats what's expected from a guitar that has had a life like this one.

Your typical Strat copy made in china. Has a rosewood fingerboard with 21 frets and pearl Dot inlays. Has the typical Strat features - Strat-style bridge, tuners, body shape, pickguard, pick-ups, SSS configuration, 5-way switching, etc. It has a sunburst-ish finish with a multi-coloured tree design. The year it is made is unknown.

rob904
    Used with a more expensive amp, like a Berhinger, the sound is not too bad.
    .....uh huh...
    Hippykiller
    If you're using it to learn how to chop shop a guitar fine. Otherwise, wow you wasted $82.50 on a pile seeing as you have a Squier already which is an improvement (mind you, only a small one). To anyone reading this review with intentions to buy your first guitar, speaking from experience it can be extremely frustrating learning on a guitar with specs that are way outta whack (i.e. the action, pickups) and I'd suggest sinking maybe twice the price of this guitar into something that won't turn to dust.
    lithium battery
    as i stated this guitar was for practicing luthiering and learning about what is in the guitar, etc. It was just the cheapest available at the time. thankyou for your comments
    lithium battery
    no it is not worth moding. A Squier is a way better investement for modification, if you are looking at strats,as they are cheap, and well made for a low price.
    tomlikesfender
    rob904 wrote: Used with a more expensive amp, like a Berhinger, the sound is not too bad. .....uh huh...
    +1 dont make comments about amps if you think behringer is a good brand plus it helps if you spell it right too
    Insane_Hippy
    Eh, Behringer gets a real bad rap around here. Granted, I have not tried 99% of their products, but my amp is a Behringer GM110, and it's the best SS amp I've ever heard. Of course the tone of SS amps comes nowhere close to the tone of a nice tube amp (imo), but it's a very decent amp that has not failed me in the three years that I've owned it, and it is older than that, as I got it used... not sure how old it is though (I've read a lot of comments saying that Behringer products always break down quickly.. more about pedals than amps though, and I can't say anything about that since I've never owned a Behringer pedal)
    Skiilz Mitchell
    I actually got a chance to see this thing in action on youtube a few minutes ago - Sounds pretty badass - Definitely worth the small price tag!
    gasleak
    LOL I BOUGHT THIS FROM A WEBSITE AS MY FIRST worst guitar I have ever seen
    rv_phoenix
    lithium battery
    phoenix did u not read that I got this so I could practice my luthier skills? I didn't get this to play it.
    rv_phoenix
    rv_phoenix wrote: Squier (eventually 'by Bender', but never 'Fender Squier', such a make doesn't exist) is in most of the cases a bad guitar, but I don't get the logic: when you own one, you move upstairs, toward a real guitar, not downstairs, toward the illusive charm of an unknown Chinese brand. Squier is made in China, I know, but at least there is a certain level of Fender control into that business and flows, although inherent, are kept under a reasonable level, while Jixing is something totally out of this world: it reminds me of the Soviet-made guitars of the '60s-'90s - electric guitars made by people who have never seen or played an electric guitar. What would someone expect from such a bizzare thing?
    A luthier is someone who knows something about wood. The first thing he should know about it is that bad wood (meaning: with bad sound, resonance and grain) sounds bad no matter how you cut it and nol matter what pups you install on it. And I didn't comment on your intention. It only seemed very curious to me that someone who has a Squier - a decent starting point for playing the guitar - can look after a Jixing. Now you stress you only bought it to cut it. Fine. Then why did you write a review here, and not on a luthier's site? Btw: did you manage to get a guitar by modding this firewood? If you did, would you be so kind to post some pics for us?