JS-800 Del Mar Standard review by Johnson

Johnson: JS-800 Del Mar Standard

This guitar, with it's replaced pickups, suits my style rather well. Before I replaced the pickups, the guitar was rather bluesy and jazzy, and sounded pretty excellent, but lacked power. Now, I can still get that same bluesy, jazzy aspect, but I can explore an entirely new world of rock, and even metal, (but I don't play metal). The pickups through my Peavey century head are rather quiet, and stay that way as the gain is cranked. The old pickups, I remember, were rather noisey, but again, 15$ pickups, 15$ setup, and you're good. I would rate the sound of the old guitar at a 7, but now it gets an 8.5.

I like this guitar, and it fits me rather well. I think that I am still being shaped by this guitar, rather than shaping it. This fits many styles very well, and with its 15$ replacement set of pickups, it sounds very good. If it were stolen/lost, I'd go to louisiana on my upcoming family vacation, find a wood supplier, buy some quilt maple and mahogany and make my own guitar. Fave feature - neck. Like the neck, hate the tremolo. I seriously wish that it had a neck angle, as I think that these feel better, and maybe a maple fretboard, as I have never played a quality one.

Strap buttons are no good. Period. I've had them slip on me a couple times. I certainly hope that it isn't my strap, but I would definately recommend some 10$ strap locks. The rest of the guitar is very dependable. The trem, which I don't use, is good for basic vibrato. The hardware is solid, and rather nicely chromed. I would use this without a backup, because I don't own one, but some times the jack has become disconnected, but usually it's my fault. This guitar has been dropped a few times, but I wouldn't try to go on without strap locks. The finish is good, but I have managed to chip it by flogging it good.

The factory action was rather nice, although the frets weren't so polished. The bridge was routed excellently, as were all the cavities for pickups. The pickup adjustment was okay, until I mess'd it up. The nut is slightly sharp, and the fret ends were okay. The wood sounds pretty good, and the finish was fairly strong (but I routinely flog my guitars). I must say that I much prefer natural to black, although I didn't when I bought it. The finish is rather shiny and nice. Setup gets a 8, but the setup I got in the states makes it look like nothing.

This guitar, which I believe was made 2004 in china, is a rather nice investment considering some of the other rubbish I've seen. This guitar came with some lackluster pickups, which I soon replaced for an overwound set (15$), a strap, cord, amp, which I blew, and a gig bag, which is crap. That being said, this instrument is rather good. The trem, which I have set up to be practically a hardtail, works rather well, though obviously not suited for dive-bombs. It's basically a Mexico Strat quality, with the same configuration. Generic tuners work very well, and the neck is very inviting, with a $15 set-up. It feels smooth and round, unlike some other Behringer copies I've seen. the intonation, like I said, has been set up, but has never gone out since.