Starshell review by Killer

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Killer: Starshell

Purchased from: Online (Used)

I though this ought to be a shredding machine, but I was disappointed in that respect. There is feed back problems when the gain is pushed all the way up, the overall sound does not feel very metal at all. On the other hand, this was suprising good with the blues. The sound was crystal clear and sharp, it was great playing clean or with distortion turned half way up. The bridge pickup sounds a bit like a fat-Strat and with some appropiate effects, it can produce a top notch blues sound. I would rate this 9 for blues and 4 or 5 for the inability to perform well in high gain.

I Play some typical Rock n Roll and blues stuff. Suprising, it was a good match since I am quite found of the blues. I have had quite a few other guitars such as an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a Fernandes superstrat and a Strat replica. The sound of the Killer is definatly colser to that of the Fender camp and I think it is quite a good addition to my arsnenal for the 200 something price tag. Putting any realibility problem aside, I would be proud to play this on stage and calm it uniquely mine.

Again, it was hard to stay in tune. The nut must be locked if one is to play it on stage. I haven't tried this thing for long, but I would certainly not be playing this without a backup. The finish was pretty okay, apart from the 'injuries' from its former users. This would be a good choice on stage it you choose to have something just for being different (since Killer is relativly rare outside of Japan).

This was not in the best condition when I got this. The string was covered in rust, there were some scratches all over the body and it was rather hard to stay in tune when the nut has not been locked. It does not seem to have a truss rod on the nut position, but it might be hidden down the joint. I have checked the wiring of this baby, and it seems really complicated with everything clamped into a small place. It would take a lot of soldiering skills if anyone was to modifiy some hardware.

I haven't heard this brand before, but it was said to be famouse in Japan as a branch of ESP endorsed by a famous Japanese guitarist. This is Japanese made, according to the usual Standard of Killer. Back to real bussiness, it seems to be a sort of entry model for a brand that specialises in making higher end guitars in limited supply. This baby is constructed with double cutaway shape, somewhat resembling a 'super Strat' shape with a H S H configuration. The bolt on neck was made maple according to what is said in the Japanese website, and it has 22 Standard frets. The body is made of alder with a solid top. Lisenced Floyed Rose with original pickups.

Jazzoon
    Some soldiering skills eh? Yeah I got the Navy to do the wiring on my guitar. Nah I joke I joke. Spelling mistakes aside, this was a good review.