Focus VT111S review by Kramer

Kramer: Focus VT111S

Purchased from: Ebay

When I got this, I had a reallly dodgy amp, which was about 40 years old at least, and it still sounded great on that. It had quite a bit of hum, but that was due to the crappy amp. I recently got a MG15DFX, and it just sounds great with it. No hum at all, apart from a little bit on full distortion but you expect that. Sounds great on clean and distortion, and I also recently got new pickups for it, the 442 Quad Booster Pack (adds 2 Dual-Rail pickups and one Quad-Rail pickup). And it makes it sound, so much better. I bought it for the same price as the guitar actually, because the guitar was so cheap, and yet it still sounded great. So all good on the sound front.

Overall, this is a great, inexpensive, good sounding guitar. Don't go for those cheapo Stagg - Strat copies, they are a waste of time. This blows them out of the water. I've been playing for 4 and 1/2 years, and I play a wide variety of music - punk, ska, rock, metal, thrash etc. This guitar seems to suit them all. The only thing I would have asked with this, is does it come with a gig bag, which it didn't, because I really need one. Also, my other guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and I must say it is a close match for which guitar I'd prefer to play. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one straight away, because it is so cheap and good. It is definitely the best cheap-mid range guitar that I've tested out. I just love the guitar itself, it is my idol. The only thing I wish it had, was a few stickers to go on the bodywork, so I didn't have to buy extra ones.

The guitar itself to me will last quite a while. I've only played this one live a few times, But it withstood it pretty well. The finish hasnt worn off, as I said above, and I would definitely depend on it, but I would never use just one guitar in a gig, I woiuld always have a backup. But If I weren't so clumsly, I would definitely use it without one.

Can't see any flaws with this guitar, everything was how it should be. It has a nice glossy finish, and I haven't given it any scratches or dents yet, and I thrash my guitar not only when I'm playing it. The only slight flaw is the pickup selector. It isn't fastened onto anything (the little white plastic bit) so a simple bit of blu-tac will sort you out fine. Thats about the only one I can think of.

- Hard maple neck - Slim-taper neck profile - Bolt-on construction - Laminated nato/alder body - Single-coil neck pickup - Single-coil middle pickup - Single-coil bridge pickup - 5-way pickup selector - One master volume control - Two tones controls - Vintage style tremolo bridge - Covered machine heads - PVC nut - Nut width 1.68" - 21 nickel/steel frets - Straight string pull headstock - String tree between "E" and "B" flat - 21 fret, rosewood fingerboard - F/B radius 12" - Scale length 25.5" - PVC dots F/B inlay