Focus VT111S review by Kramer

Kramer: Focus VT111S

Purchased from: eBay

Even thought Kramer's slogan is "made to rock hard" you won't get a whole lot of distortion out of this guitar. I also own an Epiphone SG and play both through a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The SG gets oodles more distortion. If you play mostly metal etc. Then you may find this guitar lacking. When played clean or with a litle distortion however the guitar is perfect. With the 5-way selector and 2 tone knobs you'll be able to get the sound you are looking for and keeps in tune for an eternity.

For anyone thinking about starting to learn guitar I would strongly recommend this one. It's one of the cheapest on the market but certainly doesn't play that way. I recently bought an Epi SG but still pick this guitar up purely because it is easier to play and sounds brilliant played clean. So despite the lack of heavy distortion you can get through this guitar, if it were lost or stolen I would certainly consider getting another.

I've had the guitar for nearly 18 months and it hasn't let me down yet. It looks just as good as the day I got it and it's been knocked over when it has been leaning against a wall countless times. I've never even broken a string on it. Compared to my SG where I broke one inside the first week. I've never gigged with this guitar but I've seen no evidence that it wouldn't last. The only annoyance with this guitar is that the cable jack becomes loose quite easily but is threaded so it can be tightened back up.

This is where the guitar excells for the money. The guitar was set up perfectly. The action was nice and low and had absolutely no fret buzz. It's amazing how easy this guitar is to play. If you're after a good, cheap first guitar then look no further. It will get you through you're first tender years with few problems and you'll look the part too. The finish is a darkish metallic red and black pick guard with chrome coloured hardware. There are few guitars around that have the metallic finish.

What can I say about the features on this guitar? As far as Strat copies go there are very few variations in the features. Bolt on neck and rosewood fret board. The body is made of alder and has 1 volume and 2 tone knobs and a 5 way selector. For the price of the guitar you couldn't ask for much more.

marcel1234
    Does anyone know if the bridge pickup cavity is routed to fit a humbucker. I would like to install a loaded hss pickguard in one and does the bridge get in the way of a humbucker fiting in there. or is everything all going to fit nice.