Focus VT111S review by Kramer

Kramer: Focus VT111S

My music style is punk-pop, alternative, and emo (The Offspring, Green Day, New Found Glory), and it suits it pretty well with the bridge and middle pickups and the tone close to full. I use it with my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and Marshall 10-watt amp. The Marshall has bassy overdrive, not distortion, so I always run it through the DS-1, and it sounds quite good. With the distortion all the way up, it hums a bit, but that is acceptable for a guitar of this price. It has a nice bright sound, but the neck pickup is fuzzy and clipped without distortion - not too good, but I rarely use it anyway. With distortion, the neck pickup is great for harder rock like Linkin Park. The clean sound on the Focus is fine when you turn the treble up, but I don't fancy the bassy neck.

I say, if you are looking for your first guitar, save up for a bit and get something better, with humbuckers, like the Ibanez beginners pack. If you really can not afford that, this may be for you!

The action is fine, nice and low. The pickups I already talked about - acceptable for the price. Everything seems set up properly, except the pickup a selector which is a bit noisy.