KS-400 review by Kramer

Kramer: KS-400

Purchased from: CS Gun&Pawn

The KS-400 suits me very well, playing mostly a classic rock style with it's Vintage sound. The majority of the time I run this guitar thru a Vintage Crate 10inch amp with high gain and a DOD Blues Overdrive Pedal. I isn't very noisy in the first place but after shielding the control cavity, it will be almost completely silent. For most of the time that I've had this guitar It has had the original S/S/S pickup conficuration, but recently I've changed to a S/S/H. This has greatly increased my tonal range and has given me much greater sustain.

Playing mostly classic rock, this is a great guitar. If this guitar was somehow stolen or lost, I would buy it back as soon as possible. Really this guitar is good for all around playing although you shredders might not like the looks all that much. Some would call me an ameteur because I have been playing only three years, I do still have a lot to learn but we all do. I am an ameteur luthier also, having built three guitars in my two and a half years of lutherie but I've learned to look for quality and in the Kramer KS-400 it can be found. All of my seven guitars are customs in one way or another, I own two bass's(review to come), an acoustic(review to come), a Fender BXR bass amp (review to come), and a Vintage Crate guitar amp (also review to come).

Personally, I would trust this guitar to play anywhere, anytime... with straplocks. They are not bad strap buttons but they are just normal and we all know that the leather on the end of a new strap softens up, eventually sending your guitar to the floor if yiou move very much. I would totally us this guitar on any gig without a backup and the finish will last a lifetime if taken care of.

Since I got this guitar used, I have no idea how it was set up from the factory and, since this model isn't made anymore none of you will be buying it new either. But, as far as I can tell, there are no major cosmetic flaws or hardware flaws besides the plastic knobs on the tuning machines.

The Kramer KS-400. A vintage, Indonesian made, Kramer, Strat style, masterpiece at a low price. This guitar was made in the late 80's thru the early 90's. In your average market such as classified ads and online auctions, this guitar is underrated. The KS-400 has 21 frets, and has a very comfortable eighties Strat type feel to the neck, and a rosewood fretboard. It is a laminate body but, if kept in the right conditions, you will have no problems. The KS-400 also has a very durable sunburst finish. The bridge on this model is a high-quality Strat style tremolo. It has your average passive pickups in the Standard Strat configuration with a 5-way Switch and volume-tone-tone knob configuration. The tuners are non-locking, and I honestly have no idea what brand they are. They are the one piece of hardware on this guitar that I don't like because the knobs are plastic and kind of cheap, but they do stay in tune.

K!!LsWiTcH
    a
    wafflecrisp wrote: celticstorm84 wrote: I think people freaked about $100 and failed to realize it was bought from a pawn shop. If there's no demand for it as a vintage guitar, no it wont cost much. If only people had things in perspective... Exactly... it's called "bartering" Good to know some people have a brain.
    also the whole 8.4 thing might seem crazy but it seems like more of a this is a great guitar for how low the price is kind of thing.
    madams450
    Well would it make a difference if I said I've been playing blues for 13 years and I still prefer this guitar over my higher end strats? If it's set up properly, there really aren't any flaws I can find. It's light weight, has a comfortable neck, and sounds good so I don't see why it's crap just because it's cheap. If anything thats a good thing, you don't have to worry about it getting dinged up.
    chiefruneenoze
    i bought a kramer ks 400 at a pawnshop, i love this guitar for the price and the condition which is really good it was a deal....i even let my friends which are heavy metal musicians play it and they must like it since they are asking me to borrow it on concert dates....so i really dont understand those on here trashing the guitar....just because it may not meet your expectations you can modify the sound you want by experimenting with different PUPS. the PUPs i have swapped out the bridge are seymour duncan hot rails which are too hot for me but at the requests of my friends i leave it the way it is.
    Grim_eats_jebus
    EpiExplorer wrote: Pretty.. crap. Its 75. Like, I could buy food thats going to be better than this.
    Paperjace
    "$100" "Masterpiece" Implying that this was the best the reviewer could afford for $100. If the reviewer is a junior-luthier like they claim to be, then they should know bad quality when they see it. /troll
    Deamontool
    Pretty.. crap. Its 75. Like, I could buy food thats going to be better than this. +1
    Linkerman
    Another terrible review being accepted and ending up in the UG front page... It has been happening way too often. Checked the author's profile, smells like a newbie (not so much a troll). Still, UG should have more strict rules about reviews.
    KramerW5150
    no doubt, $100 and rated 8.4? no sir... if you buy a vanguard or a striker or pacer for like 400-500 then you can rate those 8.5-9 not this one lol
    HoddiDarko
    crazywatermelon
    HoddiDarko wrote: Why are you guys always so ignorant? Reviews are based on the price, this guitar might deserve a 8, since it only cost 100$. I think it looks good and might be a cool project.
    this....if it doesnt work smash the sh!t out of it....for 100 bones i would have it just to mess around
    celticstorm84
    wafflecrisp
    Exactly... it's called "bartering" Good to know some people have a brain.
    brathzo
    I got one and sounds really good. I've been working in the action. It sounds better than a regular strat and plays excellent. Don't judge a guitar for it's price, I got 2 guys willing to pay around $300 for it. I'm not letting it go.