Nite V FR review by Kramer

Kramer: Nite V FR

Purchased from: Amazon

This is a 2014 Kramer Nite V Floyd Rose, made in Indonesia. It's a 22 fret, 14" radius bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It's made of mahogany, and comes with a satin black finish. The style is a modified Flying V. Obviously, it has a Floyd Rose tremolo, and two passive, coil-tapped Alnico humbuckers. It has a standard Volume, Switch, Tone, but the Tone is a push-pull coil-tap that seems to be becoming an industry standard. It comes with a cheap cable and four allen wrenches. This thing is a great value. For the money, you really can't beat it.

Crisp, crunchy, bright bridge sounds. Warm crunch on the neck and split. This baby has a great, versatile metal sound. Grunge and sludge metal from the neck and split, shred in the bridge. Honestly, just playing with the tone pot and the coil-split makes for a real work horse. Incredibly bright, and sounds great, even from my Orange Crush 10 practice amp. I'd love to see what it sounds like through a tube, but I'll need to bug my buddy about plugging it into his. I've been able to get some harmonics out of it I've never heard before, and I can't wait to work with them and put them in my arsenal!

Action was a bit high, but not unplayable by any means. I may even leave it where it is, since it's so play-able, and has zero fret buzz. The pickups were just right. Finish is clean and smudge-free, no nicks or bumps. Great setup. The neck is perfect, no space in the pocket, no missing paint in the bridge cavity. This thing is cherry. I will seriously cry when I get that first, inevitable nick. The hardware is a slick, gorgeous gun-metal grey, with no wobbles or loose bits. The frets are smooth, the neck is just right; a little bend, but not bowed.

This guitar could most DEFINITELY play live, and the finish seems durable and tough. The strap buttons are thick, and hard to get the strap over, which means it would take some doing to get them off! I could gig with this for sure, especially considering the versatile sounds it can create. I was worried when my sound cut out a couple times, but it was my cheapo cord (not the cheapo cord I got with the guitar, another cheapo cord I bought a couple months ago).

You can dive bomb the bajeebs out of the Floyd Rose, and it stays in tune like a dream. It does head dive, since it's a Flying V style, but you get used to it, and once you've got your hand on the neck, it's not a big deal.

For the price, this guitar is glorious. The sound is so crisp, so mean and edgy. I think my only gripe is that my tuner doesn't fit on the beak headstock! I play mostly metal, but I think this could handle just about any genre. The coil-split opens great tonal variety.

If it were stolen or lost, I would replace it in an instant. I love the slick looks, the sound, and the feel of the neck, which surprised me, since I love slim necks, and this one is pretty chunky, and flat on the back. I'm getting used to it a lot quicker than I thought. Could be the action, but it feels easy to play. I also didn't want a Floyd Rose, but it was the cheaper model, and dive-bombing is way, way too fun.

gauravharchwani
    Hey guyz does this guitar goes out of tune if we use the whammy extensively like doing dive bombs and stuff.If yes what are the other alternatives which i can buy in a flying v shape that wont go out of tune ??? THanks guyz.... Gona buy new gear soon
    Way Cool JR.
    You may want to upgrade to an OFR on this eventually, it's a direct fit/swap.  Or You can buy the higher end Nite V Plus FR that comes with Seymour Duncan's and an Original Floyd Rose (1000 series, OEM OFR) from the factory.