Pacer Classic review by Kramer

Kramer: Pacer Classic

Purchased from: Guitarguitar.co.uk

This suits my style of music perfect and is very poplular among my favourite artists (Satchel, Van Halen). I play mainly 80's metal including motley crue, GNR, Van Halen etc and also a bit of blues. I use this guitar through my halfstack consisting of a Laney TF700 head and a Marshal 8412 cab and my impression of this is very good. The guitar can make really good sounds and this is taken even further with the Floyd Rose enabling you to do dive bombs and flutters (which it is very good for by the way, a lot better than my Ibanez for this). However the pickups are slightly too weak. But I think they will be good for me for a while.

I play as mentioned before 80's Glam/Hair metal and sometimes blues and this is a brilliant match. This guitar mind me of a much cheaper Charvel. I have been playing around 4/5 years now so have quite a bit of experience and knowledge of guitars. I own guitar wise a PRS Tremonti SE a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra and a Ibanez RG370DXRRD. I actually felt very strongly about getting this guitar. I couldn't try before I buy however you can add Kramer Guitars as a friend on facebook so I felt very confident about buying this guitar and have no regrets. If this guitar was stolen or lost or even broken I would definetely buy this guitar again with the same finish. I love just about everything about this guitar and have nothing to hate about it. My favourite feature is probably how great it feels in your hands. I did not compare this guitar to any other product. I chose this guitar because one of my favourite guitarists satchel uses this brand and model of guitar and so did Van Halen in the 80's. I wish this guitar had some better pickups maybe Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios. And an Original Floyd Rose for maybe 500/600. I will be buying an EVH D-tuna to put on this guitar to further its abilities.

This guitar seems like it will withstand playing live. I have a gig coming up and I am using this guitar. The hardware seems like it will last the only thing I'd worry about is the licensed floyd rose, however this seems very good at the moment. The strap buttons are solid and I can depend on this guitar. The only way I would need a backup at a gig is if I thought one of my strings might snap. As putting a string on a trem bridge as we all know can be very annoying. The finish seems like it should last unlike my last guitar a Ibanez RG370DX in rubber red, which came off within the first half an hour.

The guitar arrived very well set up and only the low e-string was slightly out of tune, which was soon put right. The pickups and bridge were properly routed. Their is not much wrong with the guitar to be fair. When I first get guitars I am usually very critical and I had very high expectations for this guitar, which it has met. The only thing I could find wrong with this is that they accidently filed away some of the wood next to the frets, which has no effect on playing, sound or feel. I only noticed this when I was looking very closely at the guitar for any flaws. The finish is very nice and has nice sparkle to it.

It was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets on a maple neck and fretboard with black Dot inlays. I'm pretty sure the body is made of mahogany and features a Pearl white finish, which is also available in Candy Red. This is a pacer body which is like a Strat body with slight differences and features two humbuckers instead of single coils like your average strat. The bridge is a Kramer licensed floyd rose, which is actually very good. I have been using this trem as I would user any other trem and it seems very good. People have been complaining that it is not an original Floyd Rose the RRP I think on OFR's is 210 by themselves. This however is a very good trem. The pickups are passive and I think they are the pickup that Satchel from steel panther uses in his kramer. Their are 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knobs. Their is also a 3-way switch. The pickups are H-H. And they are stock pickups from Kramer made in Nashville USA. Although I am not allowed to turn my amp up in the house these pickups seem a bit weak and some might want to replace them, I'm happy with them though. I think the tuners are just stock tuners and are non-locking as the nut is a locking-nut. With this guitar I got the allen keys for the trem and other stuff and I also got some cables.

grimms
    That was a bad review, what has adding a manufacturer on facebook have anything to do with this guitar, or the company? lol. However, I own a Kramer Striker, which was around the same price, and it is an amazing guitar, the quad rail pickups are awesome and the licensed floyd has stayed in tune, with even a detachment of the neck!
    RockGuitarist09
    I have just gigged with this guitar and it was absolutely amazing. It stayed in tune very well. I was just saying that if anything went wrong with the guitar you'd have help straight away from people who i have found to be very useful. I have tried a few kramer guitars from 80's kramer. and i do not regret buying this guitar. It was amazing.
    RockGuitarist09
    The^Unforgiven wrote: RockGuitarist09 wrote: The^Unforgiven wrote: Hmm? How can you have 'very high expectations' for a 250 guitar? I'm not saying it's necessarily a POS because it's cheap, but I wouldn't be expecting anything much. I had igh expectations because of kramers reputation. They couldnt start making new guitars straight away and charge a lot for them. So i was expecting a good guitar. Well sure, Kramer was the stuff in the 80's when they were made in the USA and were riding the superstrat / mod train at full speed, but nowdays the compnay is owned by Gibson and has nothing to do with the old days. It's pretty much just Gibson making free profit from the name.
    Except that the guitar is amazing.Just because Gibson own Kramer now that doesnt mean that kramer arent good. Gibson have have made some great guitars before and from the look and feel of the new kramers they still are.
    Simplepc
    uh guys, Gibson makes some of the best guitars- hello!I am just glad that someone picked up the kramer name. I just got one of these pacer classics in candy red and love it. It came with stock epiphone pup's that I swapped out immediately w/ seymour duncan custom customs ( my fav ). and set the trem for dive only and this guitar was ready for battle. never falls out of tune, great finish on the body, quality vol. pots. And the neck is where I think most of the value is of the $369 I spent. I had 2 kramers back in the 80's. A focus and then a nightswan. focus was $400 and the nightswan was like $950. I loved them equally. This is no different. Plays awesome, feels just like a charvel neck or ESP. Fat radius and flat hard wood neck. Can beat the hell out of it and stay in tune every time. Always wanted a pacer back then. Funny, thats the model Gibson decided to come out with. Great electronics just needs a better pup which i already expected because I had to do that to my origs. back in the day as well. This is a rocker and a shredder. You can count on Gibson's quality control too, better than a lot of makers these days... Very happy with the pacer classic. If you liked the old Kramers, your going to love this for the money. Cheaper than my orig. focus in the 80's.
    RockGuitarist09
    Armywardog1 wrote: I have a few of the 80's Kramers and I love them, put an Evolution P/U in the bridge and it will really open your sound.
    Thank you for the advice i shall consider this
    EpiExplorer
    Jumbled non-specific mess. Obviously ya dont need locking tuners for trems because of the nut. While I despise Ibanez for being gloryfied, they have THE best trem system, the Edge ZR. Easy to maintain/string, to use and to generally show off with. Licenced FR's are for manufacturers who just want to be cost effective by not desgining their own trems.
    slowguitarman
    wolvenrick
    The^Unforgiven
    Armywardog1
    aRandomSandwich
    wolvenrick wrote: we need more review of the cheaper kramers on here! sounds good at the looks of your review, but please keep it a little more objective as mentioned before. being able to add a manufacturer on facebook does nothing to the quality of an instrument. PS. be sure to add something about the floyd in a few months from now! if it still is tune etc.
    i should reveiw mine but im sooooo lazy... ;(
    The^Unforgiven
    stephen_rettie
    RockGuitarist09 wrote: slowguitarman wrote: You felt confident about buying the guitar because you could add the manufacturer on facebook? Doesn't seem like very sound logic. I'm sorry if i didnt make myself clear. I was just saying that if i anything went wrong i felt confident that it would be sorted. The guitar is brilliant and i have no regrets.
    Your aware that that is still flawed logic right? It's not customer support it's a page so people can be 'friends' with their favourite guitar brand and get updates on what they are doing.