SM-1 Seymour Duncan review by Kramer

Kramer: SM-1 Seymour Duncan

Purchased from: zZounds

Soundwise, the tones outta this guitar is very versatile, you can virtually do ANYTHING with it! It sounds great through my Blackstar HT20, haven't tried it out with my HT40 and Furman pedal board - it sound sound rippin'! Pretty quiet - of course, in single coil mode, there's a tad bit 60-cycle humming, but still, it sounds wonderful, just like my Fender Strats I used to own!

I play rock/metal/hard rock/alternative/pop country/R&B/Jazz Fusion. Been playing well over 35 yrs. If it were stolen, you bet I'd get another one immediately! I love the guitar overall, despite the chunky neck - I'm sure once I switch out the strings to .09, it's gonna kill-n-shred! This compares favorably to the Jacksons I used to own [USA Soloist, MIJ Soloist Archtop, SLSMG, a trio of Dinkys plus Charvel Model 6 and Charvel Strat]. IF you like versatility, this is simply the one to get - I've always wanted the USA StageMaster, this is the best thing yet, MIK quality compares favorable to the LTDs I've owned [H-300, EC-1000, MH-400, MH-250]. GO GET ONE, Kramer has hit one outta the ballpark!

I believe it will withstand live playing, I'm very confident in this guitar. The hardware overall is top-notch! Stap buttons are sturdy, thank goodness. You betcha I can depend on this sweet thing, LOL! Finish looks great, it can withstand and hold-up.

Right out of the box, the guitar was well set-up and in-tune, just did some tweaking with bridge height and pick-up heights [raising the humbucker and lowering middle pick-up]. Carved top look great, routing on the Floyd was neat. No major flaws, maybe on the middle pick-up cavity for black paint shielding, but other than that, it was well-made.

Let's see: - 2012 model, MIK - 24 frets, a little chunky somewhat, but still fast! - Solid mahogany contruction with Ebony Fretboard - Finished in Vintage whie - SuperStrat Style - Original Floyd Rose Tremolo - Seymour Duncan Alternative 5 humbucker, augmented by a pair of Duncan Hot/Cool Rails [not too sure, I think it's Cool Rails] - Controls: Volume, Tone, Coil Tap, pull-up humbucker mode bypasses all pick-up combinations - Not sure what kinda tuners, locked in by the Floyd Rose locking nut - Only accesories: Allend Wrenches, including behind the headstock and a cheapo cable, LOL!

Way Cool JR.
    Kramer makes some great qualit/playing guitars new and old, it's a shame most people overlook them. Some of these at first came with the JB in the bridge and Hot Rails in the middle & neck, then they switched to the Alernitive 8 in the bridge and Cool Rails in middle & neck. You would have to pull out the bridge pup and look at the bottom to see what ones you have. You forgot to mention its got a Mahogany neck thru construction with super great high fret access.
    GlacierMan
    It looks like an Ibanez. I'll have to look out for Kramer next time I go to Waltons.
    gerrygtr62