Striker Custom FR424CM review by Kramer

Kramer: Striker Custom FR424CM

Purchased from: www.Musicyo.com

At the moment I am using a Fender DSP15 amplifier (not that good, decent practice amp) and this guitar growls like a beast! I love the QuadRails, they are truely dark and heavy, perfectly suited to my style, which is mostly hard rock, metal and some other stuff. Playing around with the pickups and coil-tapping can get you a wide variety of sounds. I can pull off some pretty sweet jazzy and blues-ish sounds, but I really think this thing shines through with heavy overdrive or distortion.

I love this guitar. Pickups are dark and meaty-sounding (on the right settings) and perfectly suits hard rock and metal. I have been playing about a year and a half, so some might think differently about this. My first electric guitar is a Squire 20th Anniversary Bullet (piece of shit) and this thing is a rotweiler and the squire is a duck. If this were stolen, I would definately get another one, because this guitar was a great deal for the price ($225 US) although shipping was a bitch because I'm out of US.

I believe that this guitar could easily withstand live playing, and the hardware is built to last. I'm not too sure about how good the strap buttons are, because I will usually sit down to play, but they seem very good. My only problem is that it doesn't stay in tune very well, but I'm going to get a different set of strings anyways. The finish is very durable and thick, I've smacked it a couple times (accident) and not even noticable where it was hit.

I can find absolutely no problems with the fittings and the finish on this guitar. The only problem I have is that I can't seem to set up the action without having the low E string buzzing. The fretboard on this guitar is amazingly smooth feeling, almost like I washed my hands with budder then wiped it all over a window.

This guitar was made recently, I'm not exactly sure but within the last couple years in Indonesia. 24 jumbo frets on a all-maple bolt-on neck, with black dot inlays. I believe the body is made out of alder, with a mostly-Stratocaster look to it, finished in a "vintage sunburst" which is mostly a tobacco sunburst, although also comes in heritage cherry sunburst. Bridge is fitted with floyd rose lisensed tremolo, and there is a locking nut. The pickups is where I think this think really shines. This guitar has a H/S/H configuration on a 5-way selector using Kramer QuadRail (H) and DualRail (S) pickups with coil-tapping for the QuadRails (change to dualrail). These pickups are loud. 1 volume, 1 tone. Tuners are non-locking Gotoh SG (I think) and guitar came with all the tools for adjusting bridge, truss rod, and nut. Also came with 8-10' cable and extra spring for the Floyd. Overall, I think the features for this guitar are great, and being my second electric guitar (other being a piece of shit squire) I am very happy.

axelinsky
    I just got one, recently arrived this afternoon, reat guitar, although te shipping and taxes were high (85 per shipping and 40 cause of texes) I bought it for 169 at the musicyo.com site, awesome service an kickass guitar!!