Huntington review by Lace

Lace: Huntington

Purchased from: www.lacemusic.com

The Huntington fits into my style pretty well. I play blues, hard rock, and psychedelica and this guitar's tone fits my taste perfectly. I play through which amp depending on what sound I want to get. I play through my 30 watt Fender solid state, a 120 watt behringer V-ampire modeling amp, and a Vintage Bogen 50's tube amp. The sound can be what ever you want it to be (except heavy metal) providing what distortion you hook up to it or what amp you play it through. It's nice bright and twangy at the bridge full and deep at the neck and selcting both at the same time has it's own original tone. Like I said this guitar can do just about anything it's way more expensive cousins can do. It's a dream on a wah and I have come close on my 50's amp to emulating Clapton's famous "woman's tone" Also if your into alternative music it sounds good on fuzz. I even crank out some Sex Pistols songs every now and then on it and it still sounds really good. Sustain is also very good for being a tremolo.

I hope this review dosen't come off like an add but I genuinly love this guitar. I've been playing bass for four years and so I am no stranger to the music world, and I switched over to guitar about a year ago. This is my third guitar and my favorite over a Squier Strat and an Epi Les Paul 100. I have had the opportunity over the years to play several $3, 000 and up guitars and though its not quite as good as some I've played it can hold it's weight against anything. This guitar is 250 dollars and will easily beat out a Fender mexican Fat Strat that sells for around $400 or an Epi Les Paul Standard. You have to go up to around $700 and up to compete. So if your into any kibd of music where tone is Important (especially blues) you should consider this guitar. I would definitely reccomend you at least check out this guitar in stead of going down the beaten path of budget guitars and look for originality.

I have only done a couple gigs with this but I have loaned it out to friends who just love it, and I even had one who want to buy it from me! This guitar seems durable but I take very good care of all my guitars so unless some bibical disastor happens this guitar should last forever. I dropped it once and it hit my wall a couple times but you can't even tell. I would and have used this guitar without a backup and it is definitely more than able to do shows.

When I got it was set up well except it was out of tune. Here is the one problem I had with this guitar. When I first got it I wasn't too thrilled with the neck or mid sound and thought I got ripped off but about a week later I noticed that the neck pickup was a little lopsided so I just pulled out a screwdriver and fixed it in 3 minutes. Every thing else is well set up especially for the fact this was made in the far east. The neck feels extremely good on your hands and provides fast action and feels really high quality (when I first got the neck though it was sticky and smelled like beef jerky but I wiped it down with a damp wash cloth and I never had that problem again, go figure). Like I said before the neck and fretboard feels "expensive" like an american Strat or a custum guitar. This guitar is extremely light. Some people like this others don't. I personally love it because it makes for better vibrato and whammy action but I have alot of friends used to Les Pauls who say it feels like a toy (I think Les Pauls feel are about half the weight of a Mack Truck myself). In my opinion it makes playing live a lot less tiring and doing stage tricks easier like jumping, playing behind your head etc.

Made in 2005 in china though you would think it was american by looking at it. 21 frets or 22? Sorry can't remember off the top of my head but it seems to follow the Fender model for frets. Fretboard is a beatiful rosewood. Body is alder. The finish on the standard is transparent but I got the stained wood finish. Body stlye is as far as anyone can tell an exact copy of a Fender Strat (except much lighter). Bridge is string through tremolo. 1 volume nob, 2 tone nobs 3-way pickup selector. 2 humbuckers made by Lace (the pickups are american made) standard tuners. The guitar came from the factory with a amp cord and nice strings too. Pretty damn good for $250!

longbow01
    I just picked up a black moon eyes model for $75 nib. Better sounding and built than my sons Squire 20th anniversary Fat Strat. This Huntington is perfect. Finish wise, sound wise and playability. The Lace Humbuckers are excellant. I could live without the eyes on the body but they only made 50 of the black so its cool. thanks
    wencad12
    I have owned a huntington scince about 05 or 06 and it has been workin great. it sounds good on a 30 watt vox and i love the sound. i took off the white tuner cover and put on a dice instead. it looks sweet. Mine does have a lot of dents but i still love it.