Arkane 100 Standard Black review by Lag

Lag: Arkane 100 Standard Black

The guitar was described in the store as a guitar that's mostly for metal. I don't quite agree, because all styles of rock go perfectly on this nice piece of equipment. Even a clean sound gets a nice touch if I put some reverb on it. Actually, I can't really compare it because it's my first electric guitar. But I'm very happy with it and glad I didn't buy the crappy-sounding cheapest guitar in the store. This is the ideal price-quality mix for a starter like me. I use it with a Jim Harley (cheap 15w) amp that's always on the clean channel. That is because my Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal gives a nice tube distortion. The guitar has a nice full sound. I do have some trouble getting pinch harmonics out of it, so I suppose the output isn't that high.

The guitar goes perfectly with the hard rock I love to play. Especially with the Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal I can bend the tone exactly as I want. If the guitar was stolen, I'd go the a store with the better-known brands and try to compare. I always have the feeling now that this guitar is great, but I don't know how much better electric guitars can get. I would not sell this one though.

I only play in my living room, so I have no stage experience with this baby. But everything seems very well built (expect for the plastic on the 3-way selector I broke). The guitar is still as shiny as the day I bought it. No other pieces have come loose or fallen off, that's enough for me.

There are no visible manufacturing defaults. However, I'm not an expert, so I may just be overlooking it. I was so stupid to breack the plastic on the 3-way selector, but that's no biggie. It still works perfectly. With the old cable I used, the jack always seemed to come loose. However, with the new cable, this problem is completely solved.

It was made in 2008, in China. Has 24 jumbo silver-nickle frets. The fretboard is black and made out of palisander. The nut is graphite. Inlays are pearl. The neck (the back) is made out of hard maple. It is a shiny black solid-body electric guitar. The bridge is fixed, so no whammy bar to mess up the tuning. The guitar has 1 volume controle, 1 tone control & a 3-way selector. The 2 high power Lg-humbuckers are where they should be, under the strings of course. Hardware has a nickle finish. Came with Elixir-strings.

Vinushka
    Wait, aren't Lag guitars like...a boutique French brand? I didn't realised they outsourced their production to China. This couldn't have been cheap, seems like you'd have a better amp to go with it if you can afford this sort of gear. I've played one of this in a small, independent dealer near me. They're fantastic. Like Ibanez on steroids.
    Deth Rake
    i got the model above this, it's awesome. only 350 and you get a floyd rose special, kick-ass flamed maple top and great build quality. all Lag's are good
    st-michael
    EpiExplorer wrote: Its a nice guitar. But the materials used seem questionable.. graphite for a nut? Best be careful with that, graphite is what they use in pencils.. But Palisander wood. Thats like, really expensive.. o.O
    Nah graphites good! you get no friction from the strings!
    Junior1979
    I bought 1 of this these last year except in silver. I paid 189.99 for it. For the money its a stunning guitar for the money (according to my more experienced guitar owning frinds), well made great sound.
    shiggityswah
    Just thought I'd add my say here. I've had one of these for around 4 years now, and I haven't found anything that compares on value for money. The sound isn't as amazing as some guitars, but the action is brilliant. I have never had any problem with mine in terms of anything breaking. . For me the most important thing is action. I could change the electronics/pickups if I wanted to with ease, but I can't re-shape a guitar too well. I have compared this guitar with a number of other brands and I have found it competes with them easily. If you know a little about maintaining your guitar (adjusting action etc) then you can work wonders with this one. When you compare this guitar to other guitars in this price range, nothing even compares (unless you got really lucky with a second hand bargain). Anyway, that's just my say. I've had experience with multiple guitars, and I've been playing for something like 10 years. I am very pleased with this guitar and I highly recommend it to anyone, not just as a starter guitar.
    belman III
    Most people when they first start out don't really know that much about guitars in the first place, and in fact even if you've been playing for years, there is still more to learn. Of course the review was a little rushed it seemed, but this kind of thing happens all the time. They pointed out that they're a beginner and that they probably over looked something. That shows some clear thinking right there. Besides, who really knows which amp is even decent in the first place when first learning? You work with what you have, and build on that as skill and knowledge increases over time.
    Vabolo
    Nah graphites good! you get no friction from the strings!
    You can also wtite down some improvs with it!
    Poopr
    Vabolo wrote: Nah graphites good! you get no friction from the strings! You can also wtite down some improvs with it!
    You could see that one coming!
    jammy827
    Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal I can bend the tone exactly as I want
    i hate pedals like these. they make any pile of shit sound good. ish. not saying the guitar is, but im sure if you got a really bad guitar you could make it sound good. i suppose if you cant afford expensive gear its usefull. but a review where some modeling or whatever multi effects pedal has been used is not as honest as something like straight into a tube amp or whatever as they just copy other peoples tones. and for the price of the vox tone lab im sure you could get a decent combo amp
    Junior1979
    Actually i'm not sure now, mine has a floyd rose on it but i'm sure its an AM100?
    jcm800gt10
    I have the lag am100 and Im not real happy with the sound, i have the tone just turned up until the treble is just coming on and its not to bad but i think the pickups are terrible, has anyone tried different pickups with any luck? Other than the sound i do like the way it plays and the quality seems pretty good. Just not sure if i should invest in new pickups?? or get something else.
    pnevitt
    I have a newer model and am very surprised. There are many features that really add value to the guitar that the average guitar buyer might not know and understand - this shows some integrity the part of lag guitars. Examples - the truss rod is two way - the bridge saddles and bridge are milled not die cast, under the "blacked out chrome crap" that awlays wears off, they apear to be brass. The nut is graphite, and seems to be set at an almost 0 point. With the flat radius and high tall frets and that nut the guitar has wonderful intonation. The tuners feel like they have a very high gear ratio and stay in tune well. The neck was made from a very dense peace of Maple, quartersawn. I saw lots of nice maple when I was in China. Oh yea, its one peace - no scarf joint. With the two way truss rod the neck is very stable. I also like that the neck is a little chunkier than most shred guitar. The rosewood fingerboard is thick too. My only complaint is that the fret ends could have used rounding. Also, it's very nice fret wire - nickle silver - given how nice the guitar is - it is a shame they did not go all the way. The frets could stand to be polished too if I want to get real fussy. But a guitar of this quality starts to make you a bit fussy. The Duncan Designed pickups are of the ceramic high output variety. They are real crunchy and clear - perfect for shred - but they are quite as compressed as most of this variety. They do have a little creaminess and they do not sound antiseptic in a low gain setting. I will leave it at that, there are so real clever design details - but I will assume you know what those are if you are considering this guitar.
    EpiExplorer
    evan-simpson22
    yea like ive been playing guitar for almost 11 years now and i've NEVER heard of this brand at all, but it does look okay...
    TheAbsentOne
    Sorry, but I don't think there's a possibility this thing can score a 9 in multiple categories. And.. You need to play it through a half way decent amp to know how it can truely sound.. A 15w practice isn't really sufficient. I guess it's an okay review.