Arkane 100 Standard Black Review

manufacturer: Lag date: 05/21/2010 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Lag: Arkane 100 Standard Black
 8.8
 8.4
 9.1
 3,002
review (1) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Arkane 100 Standard Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2010

Features: It was made in 2008, in China. Has 24 jumbo silver-nickle frets. The fretboard is black and made out of palisander. The nut is graphite. Inlays are pearl. The neck (the back) is made out of hard maple. It is a shiny black solid-body electric guitar. The bridge is fixed, so no whammy bar to mess up the tuning. The guitar has 1 volume controle, 1 tone control & a 3-way selector. The 2 high power Lg-humbuckers are where they should be, under the strings of course. Hardware has a nickle finish. Came with Elixir-strings. // 9

Sound: The guitar was described in the store as a guitar that's mostly for metal. I don't quite agree, because all styles of rock go perfectly on this nice piece of equipment. Even a clean sound gets a nice touch if I put some reverb on it. Actually, I can't really compare it because it's my first electric guitar. But I'm very happy with it and glad I didn't buy the crappy-sounding cheapest guitar in the store. This is the ideal price-quality mix for a starter like me. I use it with a Jim Harley (cheap 15w) amp that's always on the clean channel. That is because my Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal gives a nice tube distortion. The guitar has a nice full sound. I do have some trouble getting pinch harmonics out of it, so I suppose the output isn't that high. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: There are no visible manufacturing defaults. However, I'm not an expert, so I may just be overlooking it. I was so stupid to breack the plastic on the 3-way selector, but that's no biggie. It still works perfectly. With the old cable I used, the jack always seemed to come loose. However, with the new cable, this problem is completely solved. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I only play in my living room, so I have no stage experience with this baby. But everything seems very well built (expect for the plastic on the 3-way selector I broke). The guitar is still as shiny as the day I bought it. No other pieces have come loose or fallen off, that's enough for me. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar goes perfectly with the hard rock I love to play. Especially with the Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal I can bend the tone exactly as I want. If the guitar was stolen, I'd go the a store with the better-known brands and try to compare. I always have the feeling now that this guitar is great, but I don't know how much better electric guitars can get. I would not sell this one though. // 9

More Lag reviews rating category latest review
+ T100D 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 06/22/2015