Arkane A200ST review by Lag

Lag: Arkane A200ST

Purchased from: independant dealer

I play metal, rock and bluesy unfused stuff and this guitar is perfect for it. The EMG's are passive but still give a full, potent punch. Like the active EMG's, these passive pups are pretty low noise and are quite versatile too. The coil tap allows the humbuckers to be spilt into singlecoils for a greater spectrum of sounds. I play it through a Marshall valve stack (not sure which as it's at my practice space) and it's dang good.

Nothing I can say will make you buy this, but you should give it a try if your looking for a mid-range shred guitar that know else will have. I'd get another if it was stolen or lost. I also own a Gibson les paul studio, which is kinda pushed aside by this. The best feature about this is it's easy playabilty, your fingers glide across the fretboard and all notes ring clear. This is the best alternative to guitar like Ibanez's or any orhter generic shred guitars.

I trust this guitar completely, I've had it 6 months and it's never had a single prolem. It's built well and it won't need a back-up, its built to last and shred! Finish is good and hasn't even scrathed at all yet! The harware and pickups are built to last as is the whole of the guitar.

Brilliant from the start! The floyd has a great fitting arm which stays were you put it, which for me is a massivly useful touch. Pickups were at pefect playing height for me, middle height which gets the both of both worlds! Everything about this guitar was set up for playing straight away.

The guitar is a slightly larger super-strat, with longer lower and upper bouts and a ergonomically designed body. Heres the cold, hard stats; Body Flamed Maple on Solid Basswood Neck Hard Maple, Bolt-On with Rosewood Reinforcement Rail Trussrod 2 Way LAG System Fingerboard Rosewood Fingerboard Radius at a guess it's very close an Ibanez Wizard built for shredding!! Fingerboard Inlays Acrylic Pearl Fret Size Jumbo, Silver Nickel Fret Qty. 24 Machine Head LAG High Precision Pickup Qty. 3 Pickup Type EMG HZ set: SA (neck), S3 single (mid), TB1 (bridge) Tremelo Floyd Rose Locking System (with Locking Nut) Controls 1 x Vol / 1 x Tone Push Pull Selector Switch 5 Way Hardware Type Black. It's a shred machine, bottom line. It looks stunning, plays great and is a reasonable alternative to an ibanez!

mr pinch
    have to agree with this review. i work in a music shop so have access to many guitars and as soon as this model came in i bought it straight away. punches well above its weight for the price, and it compares well to quite a few ibanez's i have owned over the years. they were great guitars too.
    Disturbdkornkid
    Damn. I'm liking the look of these Lag guitars. I never heard of them until last week, it's a shame they don't have them at my local music stores.
    koalabacon
    Deth Rake
    I may appear bias towards this guitar because i own it, but it really is a great guitar. I do have strong negative feelings for Ibanez because there too generic and boring. If you're in the market for a super strat with 24 frets and an actually floyd rose, check this out. it's outstanding value for money.
    DisarmGoliath
    I have a LAG AP2000BSH (the Master series hand-crafted version of this, in a different finish) and I have to say that - despite the hefty price tag (1,899 after a 400 discount!) - it is by far the closest-to-perfect guitar I have ever played. Of course, like all guitars, it has its faults, although perhaps faults is the wrong word... 'setbacks' I guess is better suited. If I was to have my dream guitar built, it would be my current main guitar with the middle pickup removed, and the EMG's replaced with Bareknuckle Pickups' Nailbombs. Apart from those two small issues, I can't really fault the guitar otherwise. I have never played the lower-budget models, and am unlikely to as any further guitars I buy will likely be more from the prosumer-end of the market, but I have faith it manages to do a good job for the pricerange. I am slightly dubious that it should score quite so highly, but then I guess value-for-money is the main reason for it getting 9.4/10 in the review. I'd recommend the company to others anyway, but I can only vouch that their top-of-the-range guitars are better than the flagship models of other companies that I have tested so far.
    TheAbsentOne
    TheAbsentOne
    koalabacon wrote: TheAbsentOne wrote: It seems too biased for a review. Like, you're just so in love with the guitar itself that you're overrating it and overlooking certain aspects that would bring a guitar down that you didn't own. Of course you love a guitar right away.. Hence why you bought it! But you have to judge on a reasonable level. It may be a 9 sound to you, but compare this to other guitars.. Is this really a 9 on a 1-10 scale? Is it as good as a $4000 axe? I'm not trying to be a jerk. There's just to many incredibly biased reviews on UG, it's hard to come by a true and half-way decent review. I've stopped coming here for reviews in all honesty. Sorry UG. When a review is well written on here though, then it's a damn good review. I've found a lot to be very helpful. Just the thing that kills it is when someone reviews a guitar they like so much, and give 9-10 in EVERY category. Not to this review specifically. I'm not flaming or anything! I'm just speaking generally. Wow. Sorry. /Long rant which no one will read. ANYWHO looks like a cool guitar just putting this out there, but people also base their review on the dollar paid for what they actually got. if he had paid 1000$+ for this guitar, no doubt hed given it a much lower review. if fender sold squiers for say 20$, hypothetically, theyd be getting great reviews.
    Actually that's a pretty good point. A good personal example for me is this: I picked up an ESP LTD H-100 for $100 bucks (USD) used from Craigslist. Hell, it's awesome.. For what I paid for it. That really does factor in.
    c0b_h4t3cr3w
    You do realise that a guitar price can raise from hundreds to thousands of $ just because of it's brand or either if it's played by a famous artist. Not saying that this Lag might be perfect but I've heard lots of good reviews. Either way , it's a new brand , few guitars , not too famous ...
    Deth Rake
    and true, but i've played gibson guitars, fenders, and other guitars worth more than 1000. this really is a good guitar and should be checked out
    supersac
    Have you ever met someone so hooked on ibanez products it drives you insane? There's many people like that.. Like, 'its the only good brand' which is utter clap trap. Only good for high end guitars, because even though they're built good, feel good and are generally affordable, anything below 800 generally has an awfully basic sound..[/quote] i actually think that mid range ibanez are quite nice for their price i mean they wont blow anyone away but for the most part they are solid guitars better than alot of other guitars in their range and with a change of pick ups they can be just perfect
    EpiExplorer
    PlayFreebirdNow wrote: I don't know why you hate Ibanez.
    elvo86
    Does anyone else who owns this guitar feel that neck pickup sound sucks? My solos sound awful no matter what amp or settings I choose, instead of sweet warm sound I get some lifeless thing sounding so "digital" (yes i know it's passive but thats how I can describe it...). What do you think guys?