Arkane A200ST review by Lag

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Lag: Arkane A200ST

Purchased from: Salop Music Centre

The Arkane has a very distinctive sound with screaming highs and a great low end! I currently play this through my Bugera 6260 combo. Running this guitar through a powerfull valve amp is the best thing for it. Naturally I play metal, But sometimes I like to take a more peaceful playing style. This thing does cleans slightly better than metal if anything. The coil tap is extremely useful for changing the tones without having to mess with the amp. From previous experimenting and giging with this I've found that on a hard rock setting you can take it to a 'twangy' clean sound with the use of the coild tap. The overall sounds using cleans and over Drive are very easy to change and work with on this guitar.

Being the metal musician that I am I'd say this is almost a perfect match. This guitar plays and sounds great. Its well suited to other genres of music too. I play metal most of the time but occasionally play clean, or light rock. So its all round a great guitar with mamy different possibilities on tone. I've been playing guitar for around 3 and a half years and this was a great guitar for when I was learning and still great for playing now. The other gear I use is a Bugera 6260 and a Dean 255 Razorback. Compared to the razorback this guitar doesnt't fair to well, But for 600 less, It certainly pulls its weight. If it were stolen I'd definately buy another one if I could, Or at least something similar. The thing I love most about this guitar is how versatile it is, There are just so many possibilities. The thing I really don't like is the reliability, I've managed to fix the problems with hardware and such, But I foresee more in the near future. I don't think I compared it with anything else at the time of buying it as there was nothing that I knew even came close for 100. There are only 2 things I wish it had, They are: An original Floyd Rose and Active EMGs.

Now on to the disapointing part. I've had this guitar for around 2 and a half years now and I hate to say that its gone very down hill. I've never abused this guitar so I would have expected it to stay in at least good condition. The pick ups have developed a displeasing 'hum' which I can only presume is a grounding problem. Most likely the wire has become loose though there is no sign of it. The next problem is the pick up selector. Its become very loose overtime and has even fallen in the body a few times. The pick up selector is quite hard to fix too due to the awkawrd position of the screw. I fixed this with blue tack although I still fear it will be a re-occuring problem.

When I bought this guitar it was perfectly adjusted, and in great condition. There were no defects in the paint or finnish either. All the components were fitted properly and worked fine. There isnt really anything else to say about the guitar in this respect. It was great, Well built, Tuned, Action was perfect and there was no buzz.

This guitar is the generic 'super strat' shape. Its made from basswood with a flamed maple top. The neck is hard maple with a rosewood fretboard. It has 24 jumbo frets with acrylic pearl inlays. It comes with a floyd rose licensed tremolo. Its not the best I've seen or played, But its still great for the occasional dive bomb. The arm sits well where you set it to or you can loosen it slightly to it falls down. At the top of the neck are locking nuts as standard with a floyd rose. The tuners on the Arkane are LAG High Precision. They hold the tuning well, But that's also helped with the locking nut. This thing comes stocked with the hard rockin' EMG Hz pick ups. Bridge:TB1 Middle:S3 Single Neck: SA. These aren't as good as their Active equivalents, But they sound great amongst the passive world. It has one tone, one volume, a coil tap and 5 - way pick up selector.

whaip
    elvo86 (yes i know it's passive but thats how I can describe it...). What do you think guys?
    can you tell me what "digital"-sound has to do with passive pickups?O