Roxane 200 review by Lag

Lag: Roxane 200

Purchased from: Funky Monkey

This was my first guitar and wanting to have something that sounded like a les paul, this fitted the bill. I don't play the full metal stuff, but if I did, this would be the guitar out of those that I own that I would go to. Additionally, the coil-tap facility then gives you the added range to emulate some Strat sounds. Comparing it to my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, it's a brighter sound although not as warm as the Epi.

I've been playing a couple of years now and have in that time treated myself to other guitars. Because of the lack of space I have considered selling this, but then I pick it up and have a play, and I can't go through with it. I was lucky to get this as my first guitar and I think this is where this guitar excels. A very playable, versatile guitar that won't win any beauty prizes. But then again, you won't feel precious about taking it with you around the house/to lessons/or out and about generally.

The guitar itself is solidly built, especially considering how light it is. It would probably handle stage work, but considering it's look it might serve better as a back-up. Given the finish (although this is probably a discontinued look) I can't imagine anyone posing in front of an audience with it. Google shopping suggest current prices around the 360 mark. The finish would niggle at me more if I'd paid that.

This is probably where it scores both best and worst. The finish is terrible. I'm not sure the matt finishes are still in production, but they were abysmal. The matt soon becomes a Shine where regularly skin contact is maintained. I also noticed that what finish had been applied came off very easily (little marks around my Bridge due to cuff-links). But considering I got this to learn on, rather than play live, it's not a significant factor when arriving at the final score in this section. The action however is top-drawer and the neck on this thing feels fantastic. Access to the high fret range is the best of any guitar I own. The balance and weight are what persuaded me to get this instead of an Epi Custom SG. You can sit and play this without your leg going numb.

Indian Ebony fingerboard 22 Medium frets Graphite nut 2-way trussrod Solid Mahogany body 2 EMG HZ humbucker pickups (H4A-neck, FH3A-bridge)- separate volume controls, combined tone control and 3 way pick up switch. Individual coil-tap capability for each humbucker. At first glance the main difference between this and the Roxane 100 is that this is strung through the body. However, the 200 does have the EMG pick-ups and the wood materials used are different. I know I got a good deal on this guitar and that somewhat prejudices my assessment when it comes to scoring. But I think the features provided are worth the extra when considering alongside the Roxane 100.

Jj795
    I have the Roxane 100 matt grey. Its a versatile guitar. The paint finish is crap, oh and it is good live, you dont get back ache, sweet.....