LE400Q review by Laguna

Laguna: LE400Q

You can find the specifics elsewhere, so I'll just cover a few things. Basswood body with a quilted veneer (meaning fake quilt top), 24 fret maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, Floyd Rose licensed trem, Laguna (alnico) pickups, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way pickup selector, and coil splitting (push-pull tone pot splits the coils). Only two finish options (transparent red or blue) for this model; I bought the red one. Mine didn't come with a case or any other extras but I paid what I feel is a REALLY good price for this guitar. I'm satisfied.

I play rock, metal, and blues; paired with my Traynor YCV40 this guitar pulls them all off pretty well. It's a bit brighter than I'd like, but this isn't a major problem and I don't really notice as much when I'm playing in a full-band situation. One thing I would REALLY recommend if you buy one of these is to buy yourself some paraffin (aka CANDLEWAX) and re-pot the pickups. These pickups are supposed to be potted already, but I have to say Laguna did a pretty poor job. After potting them myself the guitar has a fuller sound, and is much less noisy. My main guitar is a $2000 PRS, and after potting the pickups on the Laguna and giving it a good setup, it's pretty comparable to my ears. A little different sound, but just as good in its own respect.

I bought mine used, so I can't comment on the factory. When mine got here it had some issues, probably due to sitting out in the snow for a few hours (thanks to UPS). However, I have to mention that when it got here it was PERFECTLY in tune. After a quick setup, it plays great; the action's very low with no fret buzz. And it stays in tune beautifully, despite my deliberate mashing on the trem; I've played guitars with US Floyds that didn't stay in tune like this. The finish looks awesome, and the electronics are very neatly wired. And I LOVE the neck; it's comfortable to play and feels very solid. As mentioned earlier, I would suggest potting the pickups. Overall, pretty good.

I have to mention here that Guitar Center did a really poor job of packing this; it was wrapped in brown paper and tape and put in an oversized box with some packing peanuts (I HATE packing peanuts!). It then sat in the snow for a few hours thanks to the kind folks at UPS not knowing how to knock or ring a doorbell. Despite this, it survived and is doing quite well after a setup. This is the second one of these I've owned; my first one was sold to pay for amp repairs (which I've regretted ever since). I gigged the old one frequently with no problems, and after a few intense practices this one seems like it will hold up just as well. No complaints.

I've been playing for about 10 years now, and this is the second one of these I've owned. As mentioned, my main guitar is a PRS; and in this price range, the Laguna is the first guitar I've owned that I feel justified playing alongside my PRS. I'll be going away to college later this year, which is the main reason I bought this guitar; if it gets stolen, it will be MUCH easier to replace than my PRS. The fact that it's good enough to gig with just sweetens the deal. I would definitely buy another if something happened to this one. My first one cost me $400, which I still feel is a really good price for this guitar. Gonna give a 9 just because of the potting issues.