LE524 Review

manufacturer: Laguna date: 01/28/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Laguna: LE524
The 524 starts with the same soulful wood combination as the 422, but adds extra frets, a speedier, flatter radius fingerboard, and a superior double-locking tremolo system. Precision and luxury, side by side.
 Features: 9.5
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
 1,949
reviews (2) 39 comments vote for this gear:
LE524 Reviewed by: GunLeatherGuy, on august 08, 2008

Features: The Laguna LE524 HH is a feature-rich electric guitar, made with a solid Louisiana swamp ash body and a gorgeous AAA flame maple veneer top. The rock maple neck is fast and comfortable and has an Indian rosewood fingerboard. Uniquely wound humbucker pickups produce massive gain. The Laguna LE524 HH has a 3-position pickup switch and a double-locking tremolo bridge that provides dive-bombing excitement to your guitar solos without tuning worries. // 10

Sound: I play metal, rock and classic rock. This guitar doesn't have the hard edge that my DXMG Jackson has with the EMG pickups but it's close and has a lot more versatiliy with the Coil Tap. When you pull it, it changes the sound alot. Most others I've tried didn't make that much of a difference, if any at all. it's got Alnico 5 magnets in the pickups and has great clean and warn sound from the neck pickup while the combination of the Bridge pickup or by it's self provides perfect and subtle distortion. The Swamp Ash gives very clear and warm tones and provides great sustain also. I've got a Peavey Studio 110, a Rocktron Rampage R80 and an Ibanez Mimx 30 Amp I use with it. The Rocktron while using overdrive is a monster with this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The FR Tremelo is just like my Jacksons and I love them. Very tough and they stay in tune forever. The action was alittle high for me, but that was easily taken care of. Now it's just a touch away and is buzz free. The action is better than my ML Dean or X series Jackson but not quite as nice as my DXMG. Everything was adjusted perfectly. The finish is the Transparent Red over Flamed Maple and is one of the best finishes I've seen. The fit is very good also. The neck is tight and true. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware is very very nice and strong. It would easily be in the same class as my Jacksons for durability and overall finish. It came with strap locks from the factory and nice ones at that. Better than my Dean or Jacksons. I would love to say I would gig this guitar without a backup but would never do it, I don't care what guitar I had with me. // 10

Overall Impression: As far as the versatiliy of sounds it creates, it's the best guitar I own. I've been playing about 3 months and have 5 other guitars this is in the top 2 of my fav's! If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another without question. The only thing I really don't like is the weight, it's a heavy guitar! I make leather products for a living and just made a very nice heavy SharkSkin Strap for it, to help hide the weight. The Swamp Ash gives such great tone, it's worth it! // 10

LE524 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2011

Purchased from: guitar center (used)

Features: This guitar came with a loisiana swamp ash body, buitiful red flamed maple top, 2 custom alnico 5 pickups, a rock maple neck, very good floyd rose, locking grover tuners for a guitar that only retails around 500-550 dollers these are exceedingly good features imo also it has a coil tap which is an awesome feature. // 9

Sound: I play most genres of rock, and metal even getting into the darker realms of death and so on and so forth, this guitars pickups takes all of it with easy on clean it has a nice level of bass to it but when its coil tap is engaged and its set to the neck pickup its sounds almost perfectly Acoustic possibly because of the tone woods that make this up next for rock tones it handles it nicely distorted power and standered chords ring nice evenly and clearly and has a nice crunch to it last is metal this thing with swamp ash I'd figure not great for it I was wrong this things got some power these pickups have no noise the notes and power chords ring out so nicely and for solo tones sweeps and taps and shred sound awesome only complaint I have on say past the 20th fret there isnt much sustain at all that's the only flaw I can find though this can be a big issue. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I bought this used so idk bout factory but when I got it the action was too low I mean it rang so bad and it caused notes to loose sustain but that was an easy fix bout 5-10 mins and it was fine pickups were perfectly raised and were very evenly set and the neck on this thing is amazing sweeps shred and large stretched chords are so easy with this thing and its so easy to make stuff sound clean the finish is awesome I have the red version and it looks simply beatiful the flame job is awesome and I've dropped this thing a few times and the body has not chipped or scratched so its very dependable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not played it live yet but I have no doubt in my mind that it could do it with easy very nice feel standing up all electronics seem very nicely sheilded and the strap buttons seem solid though I would never gig without a backup because you never know what could happen though I doubt it would. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything and this guitar takes it all very nicely I've been playing for a while now and I own 2 other guitars a fullerton st4, a Schecter damion fr and this there's no comparision this is my new favorite in all mine and my freinds guitars when I bought this I played chose this over a Schecter c1-elite a similer priced ibanez(don't remember model) and some high end epi les pauls in the end I found faults in all of these(c1 action was to high and tuning unstable) ibanez(I like small necks but wizards are to small to be confortable to me)epi(neck WAY TO BIG! And on a metal setting the pickups sounded to weak) in the end I liked this Laguna the best only things I would change is to a original Floyd Rose and change the pickups to a DiMarzio drop sonic and air noton combo though there's nothing wrong with the stocks its just preference. // 8

Comments