Helio SCH 200-SE Prototype review by Legator

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Legator: Helio SCH 200-SE Prototype

Purchased from: Legator

It was the 2015 Vietnamese Prototype model of the semi-hollow, single cutaway Helios model. The only difference between this and the production model is that the production model has 2x Vol and 2x Tone and this only has one of each. 22 nickel frets with Mahogany back and quilted Maple top. Mahogany neck with Rosewood Fingerboard and satin neck. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with non locking tuners and passive Legator pickups.

For the price point, even if it did suck (which it did not), I was ready to just hang it on the wall and have it be a show piece for it looking so nice.

For what it's worth, I don't play the type of music this was intended for. I assume it was modeled for more the jazz-esque player, but I don't play anything near that. I run it through a Line 6 POD HD500 playing anything from classic "dad-rock" covers to melodic deathcore/hardcore originals, and this thing still nails it. I've kept in Drop C with the stock string since I got it and it's amazing. Also has a great acoustic tone due to it being semi hollow. My semi-hollow before this was actually like a 98% hollow body, so it obviously had a better acoustic tone, but this one is still great. I have absolutely no issues with the passive Legator pickups, but I've also never had any experience with aftermarket pickups, so I don't have much to say there.

It was setup to near perfect (for me), when it showed up in the middle of February from West coast USA to Ohio. There was not a single cosmetic thing wrong with it at all either, which made me very happy. The top on this particular model is great, and the blue to black burst finish makes it just a work of art to look at. The satin/unfinished neck is one of my favorite cosmetic parts about it, because the mahogany grain is so crazy good looking. I did have to raise the pickups just a bit for my liking, but that's just my preference.

I would not hesitate to play this guitar live. This is a beast in every sense of the word. All of the hardware seems like it would hold up in the long run, but eventually I'd like to install locking tuners and new pots/pickups, but I'm in no hurry whatsoever. I would definitely use it without a backup, but I wouldn't rule out bringing another just to differentiate your sound/stage appearance. I don't really mind if the finish starts to deteriorate over time because I personally think it looks a lot cooler when it isn't pristine.

As I said earlier, I play anything from classic "dad-rock" covers to melodic deathcore/hardcore originals, and this thing still nails it. I've been playing for around 6 years, probably seriously for 4 1/2, and I own quite a few other decently high-midrange guitars, and this is my main 6-string. I just couldn't beat the price for it being $99 USD. It is SUCH a GREAT value, I would not ever hesitate to buy another guitar or bass from Legator. There honestly is not a single thing I hate about this thing, but I love the satin neck. It, along with the quilt maple top, is really the highlight of this instrument. And there is absolutely no comparing it to anything else that I own. I (along with probably a good amount of people) got a crazy amazing deal on such a great guitar, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I honestly was never looking at Legator until I saw on one of the Facebook groups I am in that they were on sale, now they are probably one of my favorite brands of great value guitars.