ST1 review by Legend

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

I play rock, this guitar is not particularly suited to any style, with single coils it is certainly better at lighter, jangly sort of music but this guitar is never gonna have great sound period. The different pickups take the sound from muddy to tinny and everything in between, howver being that this guitar cost me $89 AUD it is still well worth it, you will find guitars with the same sound going for $200+ for this reason I'm going to give the guitar a slightly higher mark.

Basically this guitar is a very cheap beginners guitar, the sound isn't the best, infact the guitar is just plain average but when you consider how cheap it is then it certainly seems ok, it's definately worth the money I paid and it's normal price over $170 doesn't seem overpriced in my opinion. This is just a perfectly decent starter guitar perfect for anyone looking to learn but not willing to spend too much, if it were stolen I'd not be too upset and would probably opt in to buying soemthing mroe expensive, however if I had no money I'd be more than happy to get another one.

THis guitar feels like it could snap any minute it's so light, however as long as the guitar isn't bashed about too much it seems like it should survive, the pickups are fine and reliable with no problems from them, the pickup selector is smooth and works perfectly, the strap buttons I'm not sure about, I'm yet to use them much, they look a little dodgy but that dosen't mean hey are, I wouldn't use this for a gig, maybe as a backup guitar if I had no other guitar to use as backup but certainly wouldn't wanna gig with it.

The set up was mostly fine, the low e string intonation is out a bit but nothing horrible and nothing a beginner will notice, there was not fret buzz that I have found and the action is nice, the guitar has no obvious problems with the setup apart from slightly off intonation.

Made in china I believe, it appears to be plywood with a bright blue lacquer painted on top, it has a fairly thin 21 fret rosewood neck. The body is you're Standard Strat shape, it has 3 single coil pickeups, a 5 way selector, 2 tone nobs and a volume nob, it has chrome tuners and is incredibly light.

Julz127
    yeah, i got one of these st-1's and i play a squier with a marshall valvestate amp and the st1 is at least on par with the fender if not better.