FA100 Review

manufacturer: Liberty Guitars date: 10/30/2003 category: Electric Guitars
Liberty Guitars: FA100
Mahogany body. Mahogany round neck. Bound Rosewood fretboard. 14 Silver frets. Nickel/silver plated brass top. Nickel plated brass cover plate. Spider bridge.
 9.1
 9.4
 8.8
 4,110
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
FA100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2003

Purchased from: LibertyGuitars.Com

Features: This is a 2002 model FA 100 resophonic guitar made by Liberty Guitars of New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Bill Blue, the owner of Liberty and his shop hand build these guitars and set them up to user specs. This is their top of the line model with a Honduras mahogany body and neck, Brazilian rosewood fret board, and lacquered hand rubbed cherry finish. The guitar also features mother of pearl diamond fret markers, sliver frets 14 to the body custom "f" fanholes cut into the polished aluminum top, a 10.5 inch Quarterman resonator which, according to Bill Blue is the best made, Grover tuning machines and an adjustable truss rod. The guitar came packed in a very sturdy hard case which is typical for Liberty Guitars. My guitar came with a resonator pickup but no controls which is no big deal as I'll be using an outside eq anyway. The round neck is set up for finger picking as well as slide work and is very fast. // 10

Sound: The FA 100 exhibits a rich full sound which makes it good for a variety of styles. Resonators have a tendency to rattle but this is easily remedied by adjusting the spider bridges with a flat head screwdriver or similar object. The tone quality is totally different from any other resonator I've ever played. When using a brass slide in open tuning, the guitar will fairly cry on slow tunes and scream on the faster numbers. I've noticed very little string rattle when using a slide. The guitar has a sound quality all it's own and really can't be compared with the traditional "dobro" tonal quality. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up at the factory to user specifications. Since I play predomninantly slide guitar, mine was set up with the strings slightly higher to eliminate string rattle. The bridge on my guitar had settled during shipment which made the instrument unplayable and required a trip back to New Smyrna Beach to fix the problem. After a two day turn around, I received the guitar with the bridge properly adjusted and ready to play. I could find no flaws on the finish anywhere. The guitar is set up for finger or flat picking as well as slide. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I plan on using this guitar for gigs and can see no reason why it wouldn't withstand the rigors of every night playing. It is solidly built using the finest of woods and is designed to be played in any setting. Since this is going to be my primary instrument, I feel confident given its overall construction that I will have no problems with the the guitar self-destructing on me. Besides, it has a lifetime warranty on it and with proper care and handling should last a long long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for the better part of 30 years with emphasis on slide. Although I've played resonators in the past, this is the first one I've ever owned. If it were lost or stolen, I'd definitely buy another as I believe for the money, you can't do better. I love the sweet sound quality of this guitar because it best suits the style of playing I specialize in which is primarily blues. I compared this to a $2,000.00 National steel body and felt that at less than half the price, this was a better deal for me. The $350.00 Korean-built Fender resonator doesn't even come close. Overall, I'd rate this guitar very highly and as good if not better buy than guitars selling for a lot more. Buck for buck, it's hard to beat this. // 10

FA100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2003

Purchased from: LibertyGuitars.Com

Features: I'v had this guitar for a little over one year. It was made by Bill Blue in New Smerna Beach Fla. It's Liberty's top of the line guitar and I think, definatly worth the price. Its one drawback was that though it came with a pickup, it was such a piece of crap I bought a new one and put it in myself. // 10

Sound: Liberty dobro's difinitely have their own sound. If what your used to with a dobro is a thin plunky sound then the FA-100 will come as quite a supprise. It's a very warm sound, a nice balance with pleanty of low end. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Bill will set up the guitar any way you want it. I had him set mine medium high as I play both slide and fingering. It arived perfect and I havent had to adjust it since I got it. It's a beautiful deep red and I get a lot of compliments on its look. After an initial warm-up period of about two months the guitar really started to wear in nicely and has become my favorite guitar to play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have been playing out about once a week with this guitar as my main guitar and it has held up beautifuly. This is a very solid guitar, one that I think will last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for more than 25 years, mostly electric. This is my second accoustic guitar that I have owned. I'm hooked on the sound of this guitar and if it were stolen I would definatly have to get another one. The only thing I wish it had was a better pickup. I would have had no problem spending the mony to upgrade the pickup in I had known in advance how lousy the one it came with was. My brother has a dobro made by Martin with a buiscut bridge and my guitar so blows his out of the water that he can't stand to play his anymore. Its sound is really that good. // 8

Comments