Variax review by Line 6

Line 6: Variax

Purchased from: Ebay

This guitar suits my music style very well, I feel confident playing any of the styles I play whilst using this guitar knowing I can get almost any tone I want out of it. I play stuff like SRV, Led Zep, Metallica, and it works for all of them perfectly! Absolutely no unwanted noise what'soever, no buzz, no feedback. I'm not very hot on effects, I only ever use my Ibanez TS9 Turbo Tubescreamer and the effects built into my amp (Marshall MG50DFX). The varitey of sounds from this guitar is excellent, all very good models. A few good examples are the '59 Fender Strat Std., '58 Les Paul Standard and special, '61 Gibson ES-335 and even a Coral sitar, and Gibson Mastertone Banjo!

I play mostly blues and rock, and a bit of metal. This guitar can handle it all perfectly. I have been playing for possibly just under 4 years, I also own a '04 Gibson SG Standard, but I can honestly say I prefer my Variax 500 to it. I had already played the exact same model at my uncles house before I bought it, and I think I asked all of the questions before I sealed the deal. If it were stolen, I would definately buy another one just like this one, I love it that much. I just love how something that is so basic to use, and so cheap to buy has so much technology and potential right inside it. I can honestly say I could not wish for more from this product, it is just the perfect guitar for me! Thank you for taking the time to read my review, if anybody has any more questions about this guitar, or wishes to see a demo video etc, I would be more than happy to help you out as I know how hard it can be to choose the right guitar.

I have used this guitar to play Live once, but I wasn't playing things that I would normally play. I was playing in a school concert in a massive church, I had rehearsed many times, and left it in the church for nearly a day, and it stayed in tune perfectly. The hardware seems to be very high quality to me, I've never had any problems and I don't doubt it in the slightest. The strap buttons are the only thing that I have a problem with. They are very small, hence the 2 of the 3 times I have dropped it. I don't understand why I haven't got around to buying straplocks for it like I have with the rest of my guitars. I would be very confident gigging with this without backup, I have had it for just over a year and have not encountered one problem apart from the strap buttons. The finish is one of the guitars best features. Very high quality, after dropping it 3 times, there is a slight rough area about 2 inches away from the top strap button after somebody knocked it off it's stand.

This would be a little hard for me to say as I bought it second hand, but when I bought it off eBay, apart from the packaging, everything looked Brand New (I think the guy I bought it off had stripped it down and cleaned it all up before posting it). The action was almost perfect, a little high for my liking, but it was very easy to adjust to my preference. For a Korean made guitar, everything was in good shape, no flaws with the finish, bridge, tuning pegs or wood quality.

My Variax 500 was made in 2003 in Korea (Do not let this put you off, I am not a fan of Korean made guitars myself, as they are usually very inconsistent, but this IS an exception). It has a bolt-on maple neck, and a 22-fret rosewood fretboard. I think the body is made of solid basswood although I am not 100% sure on this. All I know is that it is a very solid body that can withstand damage that could probably break other guitars (I have dropped it about 3 times, all from a standing position, and everything still works fine. The finish on these guitars is excellent. My uncle has the exact same model as me, and the only difference between them is their serial number. The body is heavily based on a Strat body. The controls consist of a volume knob, tone knob, a model selector and what looks like a pickup-selector Switch, but this selects the model or pickup of guitar, corresponding with whatever the model-selector is set to. No pickups as this is a modelling guitar, there are some wires placed in the bridge with I am guessing pick up the vibrations, and a kind of on-borad computer system. This is a solid-bridge guitar. Non-locking tuners as Standard, but if the action is low on this guitar, it will be likely to stay in tune for longer. For the deal that I got, (cost 340 on Ebay) I got everything that would have came with the original packaging. The guitar, line6 heavily padded gig-bag, line6 footswitch module (needed to produce all of the sounds that are promised by Line6) and a cable.

L2112Lif
    Its probably wickedly useful for someone who wants to switch between multiple guitar sounds during a song, or who wants one or two guitars on stage rather than an entire rack. To each their own.
    Cohan11
    bass_emagdnim wrote: The fact that Line 6 make musical instruments worries me.
    the fact that they let you out in public worries me
    Spitfire94
    Cohan11 wrote: bass_emagdnim wrote: The fact that Line 6 make musical instruments worries me. the fact that they let you out in public worries me
    I agree 100% xD
    Spitfire94
    Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2005 ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ ;↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ 593;↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑U 93;↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑& #8593;↑↑↑↑↑↑↑͛ 3;↑↑↑ Dont do any ****ing reviews if you dont know any shit!!! 1/100 mistakes YES It has pickups !!! teyr in the bridge -.- one for each string!!! And you cant make a review by looking and touching it!!! And i think this review is about the 700 ( the pickture ans "Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, 22 medium profile frets. Included A/B footswitch selects between two outputs" ...
    larrymoore
    What's the point of this review. The guy obviously hates the guitar. But rather than give good examples of the good and the bad, all he wants to do is whine.
    Ramshackle23
    I think what makes this guitar really shine is having the correct equipment to go with it....e.g. an POD xt Live or POD HD series. Used in conjuntion with other Line 6 gear this is an amazing machine with near endless posibillites. As proof of my statement i recommend checking out the band Twelve Foot Ninja. Steve McKay is the guitarist and all he uses are Variax guitars and they sound amazing!
    Maxpaynner
    I really don't like variaxes, the digital sound is too scary xD People just like them because they have to switch guitars in gigs,why don't you just spend some money upgrading your guitar and amp: change pickups, strings, tubes, experiment! You'll get your own custom sound, no one else has it, and stick with THAT sound, your own sound, don't copy others and be original!