Variax 600 review by Line 6

Line 6: Variax 600

Purchased from: Ultramusic, Hervey Bay

The sound of the guitar is fantastic. Every instrument sounds faithful to its real life cousin. It has everything you would ever need from a 1960 Fender Telecaster to an electric sitar. Whether you are after a balls-out rock guitar or a crisp country tone, this guitar has it all. I play all styles of music from Rock and metal to Blues and Country and the Variax can do it all, no problem. The Maple fretboard really adds to the sound, adding rich tones and harmonics. I currently run it through a Squire amp and Kork AXG1 Multi-effects pedal but I am saving up for a Marshall MG30 and a POD XT Live floorboard.

Before I bought the Variax, I was tossing up between an ESP MH-400 and an Ibanez XPT700. When I first saw the Variax I was doubtful. I thought to myself, "would the sounds be real, or would it sound fake?". So I went onto the website and listened to the sounds and I was blown away. It sounded just like the real instruments. Even the acoustic guitars sound as real as any other simulators. Because of Line 6's revolutionary technology, they could record the real instruments and program the sounds individually into each string. And they didn't just pick up brand-new or off-the-shelf models. No, they went for real Vintage instruments that had been played and loved, some for more than 50 years. I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years and this guitar has blown me away. I would suggest anyone and everyone buy this guitar. They also have a model with a locking-bridge, and the V700 has a different shaped body, one-peice neck with Rosewood fretboard, bone nut and pearl inlays, but is about $500 more expensive.

A very sturdy and durable guitar. I would feel safe taking this guitar anywhere with me. It is built solidly and the electronics are well protected. It would take quite a struggle to destroy this guitar, everything is securely fastened on. I would feel more than comfortable playing many gigs without a backup and I take it to school all the time and I feel safe knowing that it won't be damaged. I've had it for 3 months now and there is not a single tiny little nick in the finish or rust.

Since getting the guitar, I have only made 2 adjustments. I fitted it with Elixir 10 guauge strings (I don't use anything else) and neck tension was too high, the strings almost touched the frets when it was unfretted. Apart from that, a very, very sturdy guitar. The man Who works at the music store I bought it from has had his from 3 years and all he's ever had to do is replace on of the Peizo pickups.

A very comfortable guitar. The body shape is nothing like any other guitar. The guitar is slightly weighty though.

kdownes
    Way to go, guitarest_99. And as far as the guita not being good looking, mine is a beautiful brown sunburst and they look a hell of a lot better in real life. For some reason they don't photograph well. Oh, ad good on you UG, putting the ugliest picture of a Variax you could find at the top.
    mosquitohater93
    luketalon wrote: adg77 wrote: where are the pick ups? yeah,where's the pickups???
    read the half page comment above.