Variax 600 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Line 6: Variax 600

Purchased from: guitar center - used

This is ok. The sounds are well, but this is a computerized guitar for the most part. The sound comes through piezo pickups, not magnetic. Therefore when you hit the chord hard, there's no break up. For playing stuff that's all big and thick..it's great, or playing stuff that's just clean, great. But I like to play cleanish, then hit hard and get some break up without having to hit a distortion pedal... Not able to do that.. Not a huge problem, but if I would have known that before I bought it, might have changed me buying it. I know the new stuff have magnetic pickups, that might be better, but doesn't fit my budget.

I play mostly in church, so thought it would be great for that. Play mostly a rock type style.. Is great for U2 type sounds. Works good for country. Been playing 21 yrs. Have played on 76 Tele Deluxe (that was customized amazing guitar), Fender Strats, Ibanez, Taylors, Fender Deluxe amps, Vox Marshall, now play mostly through Line 6 PD XT live, using a Godin Solidac, not a known guitar, but amazing. Wish I would have known about the break up. If it get lost, stolen, I'm buying something different. Love the variety of instrument. Being able to change the tuning at the switch of a knob. Great banjo sound... Lol, also good simulation of actual instruments. Wish it had magnetic pickups.

It can, I've used it twice live. Would not use it without a back up, I actually use it as my back up. I think the wood and body will last. I foresee having to get electronic work done potentially at some point. Straps buttons are good. Finish is great, it truly is a beautiful guitar.

The action is good, I got it used, so not sure on factory set up, but all is well. The thing here with pick ups and such is the battery power not being up causes the e and b not to pickup, but using the power supply stuff fixes that. As far as frets, great. Floating trem is good, keeps in tune well. Tuners are good, like all the cosmetics of this guitar.

Good guitar, bought it used. Feels good, good weight, frets nicely, stays in tune. And I tend to strum hard, so that's a good thing. Lots of cool sounds on it. I plug it into my Pod XT with a DSL type cable sometimes, change the tone, add stuff via computer, change the tuning, add a virtual capo etc. This part is way cool. Can change the pickup configuration and so on. Also use batteries in it, with a regular guitar cable. Or a power supply... And cable that comes with it, all works nicely. If batteries aren't fully charged, the bottom two strings don't pick up.