Comet I Review

manufacturer: London City date: 04/16/2008 category: Electric Guitars
London City: Comet I
The fretboard is made of Sonokelin, a type of wood that looks exactely like rosewood. The head is simmilar to an American Telecaster. The decal has some sort of silver neon lettering which says London City Comet I.
 8.5
 8.2
 8.7
 3,531
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Comet I Reviewed by: Johnny Quest, on april 16, 2008

Purchased from: WE-Music

Features: My London City Comet Telecaster has a tabacco sunburst finish, I changed the DiMarzio pickups with GFS pickups myself, which is easier to do than on a Stratocaster or on a les paul. It now has a Vintage Alnico neck pickup, Alnico Fatbody 10K overwound bridge pickup and Vintage Deluxe Kluson Brass bridge saddles. The rest is Standard factory set-up. The fretboard is made of Sonokelin, a type of wood that looks exactely like rosewood. The head is simmilar to an American Telecaster. The decal has some sort of silver neon lettering which says London City Comet I, which I think is a cool name and it looks cool as well. // 8

Sound: I mostly play indie, alternative and country rock. Think Radiohead, Interpol, Ryan Adams and Elliott Smith. The amps I'm using are a Peavey ValveKing 112 and a red Roland Micro Cube (special edition). The effects I'm using are MXR boost/line driver to get a better signal and to improve overall guitar effects. Just with this pedal alone, you get a much twangier and glass like guitar sound from it. Other pedals that I'm using are Vox Wah-Wah, a DigiTech Bad Monkey and a Marshall Guv'nor. The new pickups give no static and sound sweet. The neck pickup is warm and bluesy and the bridge one sounds very high, bright and countryish. You can play any all kinds of music with this guitar: Radiohead, Coldplay, rilo kiley, band of horses, Shins etc. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The initial set-up was great, I was surprised how well the factory setup was. absolutely no buzzing and it plays like a dream. I always look carefully at the finishing and I didn't find any flaws. What I've read is that London City is a Dutch brand, they designed it in the USA and make the guitars in China. Which is why the price is very affortable. It's almost the same price as a Squier tele, but the quality is much better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it, but I definitely would play with it live. The hardware seems it would last a very long time. The strap buttons are good, but much more reliable with the Grolsch strap locks. If you play guitar and drink beer, you'll know what I mean. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impression: if the guitar would break, I would feel awful and buy a new one. My favorite thing about this guitar is definitely the playability, like I wrote before it plays like a dream. If I made any mistakes while writing this it's because I'm dutch. // 8

Comments