Gazelle Review

manufacturer: Luna date: 07/22/2010 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Luna: Gazelle
 8.3
 9.2
 7.4
 3,178
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Gazelle Reviewed by: Marley Tokunaga, on july 22, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The Luna Athena series Gazelle is a semi-hollow body, 7 pound, Chinese made electric guitar. It has a sleek, fast, mahogany neck and an ebony fretboard with twenty-two frets and a scale length of 24 3/4", also, the nut width is 1 5/8". The body itself is made of maple with a paulowina top. It has a beautiful black gloss finish and the Luna logo on its headstock. The shape is kind of a LP shape but instead of the rounded cutaway the Luna boasts a spiked almost SG shape cutaway... Not that I'm comparing this guitar to a LP or SG... It wouldn't even stand up, haha. A custom matte nickel tailpiece and matte nickel tune-o-matic bridge float strings over two mini-humbucking pickups to locking Grover tuners. With a three way Switch and a seperate volume and tone knob this beautiful guitar came with a Luna gig bag, allen wrench, a four foot cable (estimated), and a spare pickguard. // 9

Sound: This guitar is mostly my writing and slow/soft rock guitar but I have also played death/apocalyptic metal with it. I also tuned down to drop c and played some Escape the Fate and Killswitch Engage with it, so I know that it can do a pretty wide range of sounds with it. I use a Vox AC30 and a Vox multi-effects pedal with this guitar and it sounds great... I would definately use this guitar for live gigs and shows (not without at least two backups though). Even though it only boasts mini humbuckers it packs a punch and has rather nice action, it's perfect for fast lead runs and has the tone for slow melodic riffs. It gives almost no feedback and gives a very mellow, full sound using flat wounds and a bright, zingy sound using roundwounds. I even cranked my distortion and gain up to the point where I could play along with Neurosis and Shrinebuilder nearly perfectly. This guitar can do a lot. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is really low.. But I also raised the bridge so I could play some rhythm and that worked really well too. While low, I had absolutely no fret buzz. The pickups were perfect but the protective plastic thing on top of them left marks when I took it off:P. There weren't any scratches or wrongly set up hardware on the guitar. I live in Hawaii though so my guitar has been exposed to a very humid climate and the pickups, strings, and pretty much all the metal has to be wiped down each time you play! Other than that the only thing I had to fix was tightening the nut at the input jack because it was a little loose and I changed out the strap buttons for straploks. Other than that this guitar was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could definately withstand live playing. It seems very solid for a semi-hollowbody and the hardware has held up since I've bought it. I changed the strap buttons out and replaced them with straploks for obvious reasons. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup... I wouldn't f****** do a gig without a backup, that's stupid, haha. The finish is a thick black gloss and will last for as long as I have the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this guitar is beautiful. I play alternative and emo to apocalyptic metal and I think this guitar is a perfect match for me. I prefer my SG for metal though, it gives a slightly better sound for the genre. I own a Roland practice cube, a Vox AC30 tube amp, a Gibson Les Paul Custom (best guitar ever:D), an Epiphone SG, a crappy Glen Burton acoustic, and this guitar. If it were stolen I would definately buy another. I love everything about this guitar... Only thing I would want is probably a 24 fret fretboard instead of the 22. // 9

More Luna reviews rating category latest review
+ Andromeda Phoenix 4.2 Bass Guitars 01/28/2013