MB 1 review by Manson

Manson: MB 1

For those who know and like Muse, the guitar gives that famous Muse-sound. Of coarse it requires a Matt Bellamy for the authentic Muse sound, so you can give it a bit of your own taste. I repeat: I haven't bought this guitar, but I have heard Matt playing it. It's a custom made guitar, and Hugh Manson spent a lot of work making it. So it really works how it should, and gives a nice sound. For those not so familiar with Muse, they have a really different kind of style. They have songs that are pretty heavy (like Stockholm Syndrome, New Born... ), that are a bit futuristic (Fury, Invicible, Map of the Problematique), or just nice and perfect riffs (Plug In baby, Knights of Cydonia... ). All performed by the same guitars. Matt also has a Fuzz Factory built in, but that doesn't come with the guitar that's for sale.

I like playing Muse song, but I'm also a great Metallica fan. I also play songs by ACDC, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Tenacious D... The guitars can really play heavy (thanks to the nice MBK-humbucker). I have been playing guitar since September 2008, so that's not long. But I'm a Muse fan for a couple of years. At the moment I own a Cort G210, nice for starting to play electric, but as my skills grew, I was in the need of a better equipped guitar. The guitar has a bit of a Fender Telecaster model, so some people like calling it the Mattocaster, referring to Matt Bellamy. I'll say it again: I haven't bought the guitar, but if I had the money, I certainly will! Since it is a custom made guitar nd a signature guitar nd a limited edition, it's price is so high. The pirce ranges from 2999 to 3749, depending on what extra features you'd like. I kindly ask people that do own the guitar, to post a review too. So people can see the details and maybe more good or bad thing about it. Greetings.

Well I think the guitar is perfect for Live performances, I'd like to recommend watching some Live performances by Muse. He uses a whole set of Manson Guitars. Also, Matt Bellamy is known for his intense Live stage playing, including running all over the stage, the famous Power Slide, heavy 'Rage Against The Machine'-style movements.

Like I said, the guitar is custom made by Hugh Manson, he spent a lot of work in his guitars, they have to be made with great care. I don't have the guitar, so I can't check it in detail. Maybe it has some small flaws, like every guitar does. I wish I really had this guitar, so I could tell everything about it.

First of all: I did not buy this guitar (yet). I don't have the money (yet). This guitar just got released as a limited edition guitar, so I thought it deserved a review on UG. Here's some overall information: Some people will recognise this guitar, it's the Matthew Bellamy signature guitar: The MB (Matt Bellamy) 1. It is made by Hugh Manson and his crew in his guitar shop in Exeter, Devon in the UK. He's the only manufacturer of this guitar. Hugh Manson made these guitars only for Muse's frontman Matt Bellamy, until now. Here some info I got from the website: -Alder Body -Birds Eye Maple Neck -Rosewood Fingerboard -MBK-2 Bridge Humbucker -Fernandes Sustainer Humbucking Neck Pickup -Fixed Bridge -Gotoh 510 Machine Heads -Kill Switch -Volume, Tone -Sustainer On/Off Switch -Sustainer Harmonic/Fundamental Switch -3-way Pickup Selector Switch -Manson Deluxe Logo Hard Case You can also order the guitar with a built in Kaoss Midi Control Screen, wich I don't find really necessary. If you like to experiment with your guitar, this is ideal for you. People that have seen Live performances by Muse, have probably noticed this small screen on the bottom of some of his guitars. For me ( a young, fresh guitar player) it has a bit too much features, I really want the guitar for the basic stuff. But experienced players will like every bit of that guitar. For now, you can order the guitar in Black, or for a 200 extra fee in Red Glitter. Note that there are no fret markings on the fingerboard!

stoo666
    Let me get this straight you've only been playing 7 months and you've never actually played this guitar? I really don't think you're the best person to write a review, no matter how much you read about it. This review is pretty pointless, it's just a description of Matt Bellamy's playing and how much you want this guitar.
    prof_samm
    i have just collected my manson mb1 with midi. i waited almost 6 months after i put a deposit down to get it but it was worth the wait. im new to ultimate guitar but il have a go at putting a proper review on here with pictures. it a nutshell tho it is a beautiful flawless guitar which sounds amazing!!
    RubberDuckZilla
    WyvernOmega wrote: jsnpark wrote: maybe the greatest guitar ever made Agreed.
    I also agree, but i have one concern: YouTube is gonna be filled with Matt Bellamy wannabe's doing covers, otherwise i want one so much
    samuse
    Sorry but theres no way someone can write an accurate review on something they don't own. i'd probably guess that this guitar is much better than the review its been given here. and for the price, there must be a reason for that e.g its an incredible guitar with everything you need and more. but i haven't played one so i can't write a review... or can i...
    mafyoo
    Yes but its bloody 3000!
    rancidryan wrote: its a shame there being offerd to the public makes matts guitars less unique
    Daneeka
    gratefulduck wrote: Wiintruder wrote: Actually you can build one for less then 1000 usd. Get a high quality body and neck, the kaoss pad, and the same pickups. There are alot of tutorials on how to cut and take apart the kaoss pad so you can mount it. Not that difficult but "hard" to do it to a good quality body if you dont have experience my mistake, it is possible to mount a mini Kaoss pad, and not have to buy the big one. i dont think thats the case with this guitar though
    That "screen" is only a touch pad. It senses where you touched it and sends a midi signal to the Kaoss pad.
    J.J.G.
    BrokenBricks wrote: midi control pad could be awesome. can't believe nobody thought of that.
    line 6 did something quite similar in the variax series
    Wiintruder
    I don't know the model of this one maybe the KP-3 (latest) but I've seen tutorials based on the KP-1 and the KP-2....if u buy them used (better not to **** a new one ) it isnt that expensive.
    gratefulduck
    gratefulduck
    if you get a guitar with the the kaoss screen built in, you need to buy the original kaoss...thing...the big one for like 400 USD. i just thought people should know that, in case anyone is considering buying this behemoth
    Wiintruder
    Muse-a-holic
    ive been playing two months less than him and i wouldnt dream of spending that much for a guitar no matter how many trinkets it has. since i started playing i have been playing non stop for 5 months im really good for the how long iv been playing. being able to play solid metal songs like master of puppets and sanitarium not to mention countless muse songs but for heavens sake give it a year at least.
    haz_uk
    why review something you don't own? you clearly haven't played it either. this is just a mess of speculation. get a grip of yourself.
    EddyRE:action
    nice ideas with th whole kaoss pad an im sure some love it but i find it OTT an overpriced
    The Gore Child
    This does sadden me! What I would give to own this guitar! Complete Matt Bellamy rip off I would be! But I don't care! I want it now!!! I want it... NOW! Give me your... MB1 GUITAAAAARRRR! Yeah, sorry for that guys... but this guitar is very expensive! Can't wait till someone who has it reviews it, then again, this would probably make me even more jealous
    Debml
    It's f*cking expensive, about 5000 dollars the most expensive version but when I win the lottery, I'll buy it
    PoloSG68
    Azza Dutt wrote: You can't review something you don't have. For all you know the guitar could fall apart the moment you touch it or there's other faults with it, both are probably unlikely but nevertheless the point remains. Until you have actually had 1st hand experience don't bother posting a review.
    Blimmin' well said. Although I highly doubt ANY faults, you can't really tell how good a guitar is without playing it.
    Azza Dutt
    bradleymor
    i was in mansons the other day and they were testing a near complete one (mirrored finish). it sounded amazing....
    rhcpfan118
    it's originally from the KAOSS pad, the KAOSSILATOR didn't come until later. this is essentially matthew bellamy's (muse) guitar for the mass market. or as mass market as a limited edition with this price tag can be. you can control anything from sounds and effects like you would with stomp boxes to lighting. it's midi... it can do a ton.
    Drail89
    so . u have a box , the kaoss box on the floor , near your pedals , that box is connected to your pad, u choose a effect from the box and with the control screen you can make the effect work as you like , watch some Muse's Live to understand
    HeartRaz0r
    kaoss midi control screen is a synthesizer control screen, as used in the KORG KAOSSILATOR.
    Y-y-yeah
    It looks`like an excellent guitar, but a little too pricey for my taste. plus that i don't live in the UK is a down side. btw, what is a Kaoss Midi Control Screen?