Rocket Special review by Marshall

Marshall: Rocket Special

Purchased from: Yamaha Music Gallery

The sound is good overall. But when connected to an amp the volume control on it is not that effective, if the destortion is turned on, you want that sound but don't want to disturb your room-mates it is hard to get a good volume, its either too loud, or not amping at all. I don't have a pedal, but the amp comes with distortion so I don't worry about that too much, unless I want a sound the amp can't give me. The sound isn't great for preformances but its great for practicing. The guitar has a hard time staying in tune. The sound is very bright, the bad thing is it can't be adjusted that much.

I play all kinds of guitar music, it does well in all, except classical. I like this guitar because it looks nice and it is different from any other guitar I have ever seen. I've been playing for about 4 years (newbie!) and I own a Nashville Acoustic, a Yamaha Classical, a Yamaha Pacifica, and this guitar (Rocket Special). If it were lost, I would look for it, but personally, I just don't have the cash to buy another one. I love the looks, beautiful, beautiful design! I hate the fact that it only has 21 frets, that really bothers me, I guess its better for rhythm than lead. Honestly this is one of the best looking guitar's I've ever seen.

I've never tried live playing with this guitar before, I use my Yamaha Pacifica for that. But I would think that it would hold. The hardware itself is pretty good. But the guitar tends to go out of tune easily. But other than that, the guitar is worth what I paid for (even though most of that was for the amp that I got?.

Nothing too good about it, but it certainly wasn't bad. I find that the the jack would often come loose, which annoys me. The strap holder would also often come loose. Only having 21 frets is a downside also. Alot of songs that I try to learn require 22 frets. But other than that, the guitar is pretty good.

Now Marshall are famous for making amplifiers. But the Rocket Special was one of the special guitars they did make. It has that Stratocastor shape with some minor alterations. The guitar itself has 21 frets and a rosewood fretboard. The guitar is completely black except for the back of the neck. The pickguard is black with a white outline, other than that, the guitar is all black. The controls are pretty standard, one volume, two tones, and a 5-way selector. This guitar came in the Marshall Rock-Kit, it came with a KORG Tuner, and soft case, and whammy bar, a strap, two picks, and a Marshall 15 watt Amplifier.