Rocket Special review by Marshall

Marshall: Rocket Special

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

I play alot of grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam) and a lot of alternative (Smashing Pumpkins) but I also play some Eric Clapton and some finger-picking folk and blues music and the 15 watt amp comes out on top of it all. But if really want to get good tones and distortion with this guitar or you want to start playing with a band you really want a bigger amp. I the distortin on the 15 watt amp is a little weak and you need more powere to really get tone out of the guitar. 5-way selector gives you a range between really sharp and muted tones but with not much in between. The 1st tone knob ranges between muted and clean tones but the secong know has not much effect. I'm using a Fender Fm 202 100 watt amp which really displays the tone and range of this surprisingly good sounding guitar.

This guitar pack is perfect for any begginer. It is affordable and durable. I have been playing for a year now and have started playing with a band so I got a bigger amp and thats when this guitar really starts to Shine. You'd think that in a Marshall pack the amp would out-do the guitar but the opposite applies here, this guitar has buitiful sound that can only be fully harnesed through a bigger amp. You can play anything from Metalica to Eric clapton on this guitar. If it were stolen I'd probably try to find it but then I'd probably invest in a Epiphone Les-Paul copy or something but if you are just beggining I suggest this guitar.

I am not sure if if I'd play a gig with the amp provided in the rock-kit pack because it is too small and it limits your tone but with a bigger amp (such as mine) I definitely would. A back-up guitar ss always advisable but I don't think youd have any troubles with this one. I've dropped it a few times but it's still as good as ever. The finuish is still perfect also.

My only quarrels are the plug-hole comes loose, the pickup selector is a little noisy and the knobs can be easily pulled off. But apart from that I have not had to adjust anything in my year of it's use.

This is one of two special Marshall guitar and amp paks called "rock-kit." In which you receive a Marshall 15 watt amp, the guitar, a Korg tuner, strap, a few piks, a tremelo bar and some replacement strings. It's made in China but is still strong enough to have resisted by occasional dropps and bangs. It has one humbucker and two single-coil pick-ups. It's shaped like a Strat but with a pointed head and sharper cut-outs. it is all black with the exception of the back of the neck and the scratchboard is outlined white. It has only 21 frets. It has a standard 5-way selector and 1 volume and 2 tone knobs.