MS500 Mastersound review by Maton

Maton: MS500 Mastersound

Purchased from: Allans Music Kew

I play crunchy rock alot of single or double note stuff and quite a few powerchords. The Maton is a dream for these styles as it feels like I'm playing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all. I use it with a Laney and it sounds good as. The guitar would suit every style except for crazy death metal which I despise of course. The guitar is bright sounding and completely noiseless on both the HB/HI-FI setting and the SC/Midway setting. You'll know what I mean when you see the guitar.

This guitar rocks in every sense of the word. I've been playing geetar for 3 years almost. If I lost it I would probably buy the better model, the MS2000 DX. I love the look and playability. I only wish that it was white and had a red pickguard. Man that would be awesome. I highly recommend this guitar. Billions of fish all over the world cant be wrong.

This guitar can take a beating, just ask John Toomey of Pacifier who uses one or should I say ABuses (clever I know) one when he plays. The hardware is clearly built to last, my only problemo being that when I tried to fit my $25 Dunlop strap a strap button came out easily fixed though. There are alot of chips on it due to the soft wood but the finish remains as smooth and sassy as when I bought it. The fingerboard is smooth as too.

The guitar was set up both at the factory and by a professional outside the factory, Jim Timmins. Everything is done perfect, however there the neck is not totally flush with the body, and the bridge is slightly rusty (my fault I'm sure).

This excellent guitar was made in Australia, and Maton's very own Box Hill factory. It has 21 frets and is of a much smaller scale than say a Strat or Gibson style guitar, making it lighter also. It has a gorgeous red finish in a satin style which makes it almost immune to finger print marks etc. It has two standard product line Maton humbuckers that are controlled by a volume knob, tone knob and quite possibly the coolest selector Switch ever. Also one of those switches that makes the pickups either humbucker/single coil which is just plain jazzy. It has those off green plastic tuners that hold well and all Matons are fitted with a TonePros bridge which just looks swell. I didn't get any accessories I know of unless that cashier took them. One problem was maybe another tone or volume knob.

Nackers
    This is one great guitar! I love mine! It has a lovely satin black finish with white scratchplate! I got mine prob at least 8 years ago (I picked it up on sale for au$799 ) so its got all the normal wear and tear but still sounds and plays great who wants to pay several thousand for a prs or something like that when you can get one of these for about au$1200
    CoyoteJack
    I've got myself a 2001 white-with-black-pickguard MS500, and I love it dearly. Why pay thousands when one of these will run you, like Nackers points out, around AUD$1200? Gorgeous, solidly built and a joy to behold, plays smoothly once you get used to the 21-fret short scale (new models are, I understand, longer now, with 22 frets). Rocks hard, put it through a nice amp and hear it roar. What a bad bitch of a thing it is.
    bede86
    White with Black pickguard? that sounds really nice man. mines just the natural colour, still love it to death though, its the ultimate medium between a strat and a les paul imo, allot cheaper too .
    Cameronr303
    I have an Ultra blue one. Love it. Feels and sounds so much better than my squire. I will cry the day it gets a chip in it.
    danny122
    dude the ms 500 only has one humbucker not two the neck pickup is a single coil kinda matons knock off of a p-90 but cool review i love mine simply an awesome guitar