MS500 Mastersound review by Maton

Maton: MS500 Mastersound

I think this guitar could suit almost any style- it sounds great just clean, and just dreamy with chorus, tremolo fx, etc. It also has a great edge when played with distortion/overdrive and has a beautiful Vintage tone which I really love. Playing this through a tube amp is a match made in heaven and even combined with my Epiphone Valve Standard, it sounds gorgeous. I also play it with a Vox Valvetronix 100w amp and that too sounds great. I think it's suited to all sorts of music but strummy, rich sounds combined with a singing sustain for lead make it a very versatile guitar. Effects-wise, I use a CryBaby, a few different distortions and chorus, tremolo and really not much else but it really does suit just about everything albeit it probably not metal or particularly fast styles as the neck, whilst solid and lovely, isn't really for shreddding and isn't lacquered or fast. For recording, it sounds beautiful through an MBOX with ProTools 8. I also have a Line 6 GearBox that it sounds amazing with. The sound is ultimately what it's all about and it doesn't disappoint.

I play everything from rock to Indie and sometimes some heavier punk/ punk rock styles, and love Vintage tone, so in many ways this is the ideal guitar for me. I think everyone except a die-hard metal head will appreciate the tone and quality of this guitar. Well, they may appreciate it, it just might not suit their needs. I use this guitar for all styles, but for more heavy stuff swap to a Jag HH. As previously stated, I would replace this guitar ASAP if anything ever happened. I love everything about this guitar - it just sounds great, with a clean tone, with fx, recording or through an amp. It just feels so well made and comfortable and is a joy to play.

This guitar is solid, beautifully crafted and feels like it is built to last. I would not use a backup and should it ever be lost/damaged/stolen/whatever, I would buy another one as soon as I could. All the hardware- from the strap buttons to the knobs, feels like it is built to last. Maton have built their reputation through quality, beautiful tone and durability, and it feels like every guitar I have played of theirs has been given that TLC. They don't have a name as widely known as say a Fender or a Gibson, but in some ways I feel they are superior. Put a Fender around your neck, then put one of these around your neck and I think you will see what I mean!

Matons have a good reputation for being well set up at the factory, and in the few years I have had this guitar, apart from changing the strings and a little cleaning, I haven't messed with it at all. Especially the action- it all seems lovely, the bridge, pickups, everything sounds and feels great. The tuning pegs are great, this guitar stays in tune so well you only really need to re-tune it if you bump them! Comfortable and whilst I am no expert on setting up guitars, I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I purchased this guitar in 2009 and it has since become my favourite thing in the world! I bought mine in Tobacco Sunburst and honestly loved it so much I sold my Les Paul Standard because I wasn't really playing it anymore because I had become so enamored with this baby. It has Grover tuner heads, bolt on neck with rosewood finger board with Dot inlays, 25.5 inch scale and 22 frets, and Maton MVHB humbucker (coil tap) Bridge pickup and the neck pickup is Maton MVSC single coil, controlled by single volume and tone knobs, Coil Tap Switch, and a funky 3 way chrome Rotary Selector Switch that just looks oh-so-cool and vintage, with settings of Cool, Mid-Way and Hi-Fi. Chrome stop tailpiece/bridge and a high gloss finish. The wood is a solid Australian tonewood and overall it has the appearance of a solid, well made guitar.

grady.truchelut
    I just bought the MS500 50th anniversary model and I'm very impressed with all aspects of the instrument. It just sounds and plays wonderful. I own and have owned quite a few nice Gibsons and this is just as good or better!