F-1 review by Maverick

Maverick: F-1

Purchased from: sounds great music

This guitar suits most styles extremely well. I play any type of music ranging from soulfull blues and rock, to heavy metal. The neck pickup provides a very warm and full tone that is well balanced but maybe a bit biased towards the bass. The bridge pickup is nice and bright but isnt very well balanced and may require a new pickup if you really want to nail the blues and metal sounds properly as the lower strings can really rumble through a powerfull amp and the higher strings are far on the other side of the scale. The pickups are moderate output and are passive and don't produce much significant background noise unless through extreme gain which is expected. The guitar's sustain isnt the best iv heard but harmonics are still easily acsessed and are sustainable for a fair length of time under moderate distrotion. Overall it has a good range of sounds and the only problems I could really find with the sound come down to personal taste and all these problems can be easily sorted if you spend a bit of money on the guitar.

My music style is a mixture of hard rock and metal with lots of bluesy ideas mixted with any sound I find interesting to listen to so I have a very wide range of sounds in my playing so I need a very versitile guitar and this guitar fits perfectly. I have been playing for 4 years now and have never played a guitar which I fell so comfortable playing. I use it along my Randall RG75 amplifier and a Boss CH-1 pedal which I use very infrequently. If this guitar was stolen I would most definately buy another one as this guitar is my perfect match and for me beats many guitar which cost much much more. I wish this guitar came with a more expensive brother that had top of the range hardwear and a choice of pickups, that is if I had enough money to buy one. So dispite all the problems and difficulty iv had with this guitar I love it too much to be petty with things that can fixed easily. This is my favourite guitar in the world! So in my opinion it's is a 10 overall but to be unbiased I have taken into account all the things that would put a neutral buyer off this guitar.

This guitar has survived Live playing since iv had it and I'm not scared of an problems with the strap buttons or any other part of the guitar. The only problem iv had with it Live is the pickup. I would use it Live without a backup but until I get the pickup sorted I doubt that would be wise. The guitar doesnt't looked aged one bit and the only sign that it's not new is the thin layer of dust around the tuning pegs that now find them selves often unused for long periods of time. The feels pretty damn hardy when you play with it Live and the finish seems like it would take a pretty hefty bump to chip it.

First of all the guitar is beautifuly curved and shape and is a very imaginative variation on the simple Strat shape. The finish was perfect when I got it and the colour was so bright and vibrant. Pictures really don't do this guitar justice it looks so much better in the 'flesh'. The guitar came well set up except for the bridge. This may have been because it was a display model and I can't really comment on the models straight out of the box although iv come to expect the best from Maverick so I can only assume. The bridge was leaning quite a way forward from the body but I learnt how to adjust it and did it my self the it was fine excpt the intonation on the one of the strings was slightly out which also I adjusted quite easily thanks to help from Total Guitar magazine and UG forums. Once the bridge was sorted everything was perfectly set up and the action was low perfectly complimenting the slim neck. But after about half a year of using my Maverick the bridge pickup has started randomly loosing volume I assume this is a wiring problem but after looking I can't really find a problem so I am goingto take it to the shop to have it checked out. Despite the problems in the hardwear the guitar is amazingly well made and finished to a Standard of higher price ranged guitars.

24 jumbo frets, 25" one piece, canadian maple neck. It has a very fast thin neck with a rosewood fretboard. It is bolt-on to a basswood, superstrat shaped body, that gives a very warm clean sound and a beafy distorted tone. The hardwear includes Maverick A type humbuckers, Maverick liscenced Floyd Rose Floating trem, Maverick tuners, 3-way toggle Switch, and two roller contrl knobs (volime & tone). My red F-1 is the best guitar I have ever played. The guitar is perfectly balanced, which is very helpfull concidering the heavier woods. The Floyd Rose is my favourite part of the guitar beecause of the tuning stability it provides, and even if you may not want to use the whammy bar I would recomend the Floyd as the greater tuning stability and the option of the whammy if you may change your mind greatly overpowers the HardTail variation. Taking this in mind because the bridge is Floyd Rose pro style bridge rather than original it limits the extremety of whammy bar use. Although the range of the bridge are adiquate it may be a little dissapointing for some of the more adventurous guitarists. Concidering the cost of the guitar the features on the guitar are quite substantial and beat most of the competion in terms of quality for virtually any guitar in that price range.