F-1 review by Maverick

Maverick: F-1

Purchased from: Lemington Spa

I play alternative Heavy rock, soft jazzy rock and everything else under the sun. This is an extremely diverse guitar that uses its excellent humbucker pickups to great effect. I found the most lush tone was in the bridge pickup with medium to high gain on an VOXAD30VT amplifier with the tone rolled back ever so sightly as it can be a little sharp and brittle for my taste at high volumes when the tone is maxed. When using a clean setting, of course the neck pickup feels like it is stroking fine silk. Especially when you add reverb to the mix and roll back the tone even more. The pickups work so well in clean, both bridge and neck. This applies to a crunch setting also. The Harmonics don't ring out as notably and are harder to pick up than other guitars but that is only a very minor issue. It is is ever so quiet when you remove your fingers from the strings, very little feedback, made sure by the help of Trevor Wilkinson. I prefer the amplifier's distortion and don't use many effects personally, Tremelo and reverb and that's about it but they complement the sound generously.

There is not another guitar on the planet that I have yet found that matches up to this beautiful beast. I try and play everything, Slipknot, Muse, Deftones, System Of A Down, Metallica, John Lee Hooker, Hendrix, Beethoven, Biffy Clyro, Interpol, The Strokes, it does them all exquisitely. I've been playing electric for about two and a half years now and I have a Schecter 7 string Omen Extreme, Epiphone Les Paul Custom 1979 eddition and a few other cheaper guitars like a Fender acoustic and a Fender Squire Strat, it beats them all in every way. I don't intend on loosing this or letting it be stolen and I would certainly perish if it did. Its variety of tone, characterful design, immaculate construction, cheapness and everything else are just perfect for me. I would of preferred to of got the other Maverick model that has a single coil in the middle position for even more variety of tone! But this is the best guitar I have ever played, ever, I feel lucky to own one.

This guitar was built like God built humans. With such dedication and beauty. The strap buttons are solid for jumping around crazily and the finish was immaculate down to the little sparkly dots sprayed lightly over the glossy black finish. Non of the hardware has any signs of oxidising and I've played it solid for a whole year now. The pickup selector is loose and can sometimes be knocked into a different position but that is only minor. I would easily take this guitar to Download(if I were doing that)and feel proud and safe. I would bring other guitars on stage but I use different tunings anyway.

The set up of the action was superb, intonation, tuning and the bridge alignment was all perfect as well. The pickups were placed in as accurate as possible, I don't see how they can sound much better than they do. There are no flaws in the finish or back panels and in any of the routing. All the numerous, stylish cutaways are perfectly shaped and add to comfort for knee, standing and seated practise.

This is a Korean made guitar and has unfortunately stopped distributing(for the moment). It was originally made back in early 1999 and has a two piece centre joint basswood and uses the genius idea of roller ball volume and tone controls, which haven't been used since very early Fender Jaguars. The neck is a shallow C neck made of one piece Canadian maple, bolt on with a AAA Indian Rosewood fingerboard. The Licensed Floyd Rose is very sturdy and the corresponding diecast 16:1 ratio Machineheads, polished nickel hardware and locking nut, controls the tuning exceedingly well. The brilliant fret excess to all 24 jumbo frets and the double cutaway Strat style shape aid the ability to shred all over the fret board. The 25 inch neck scale works fluidly with sweeping and other guitar techniques. The pickups are Maverick's own brand called A-Type humbuckers and are passive and sound superior to any other guitar I have played. For the price especially. They are fixed in the bridge and neck position with 3 way toggle Switch and two roller ball designed volume and tone controls. Which work greatly and look cool as hell!