F-3 review by Maverick

Maverick: F-3

Purchased from: eBay

Sound suits all my styles, rock, blues, funk, jingly jangly.

For me and I like fast guitars I can't think of anything better for the price. Maybe an F-1 if I'm honest as it's cheaper and I like metal so don't use the other pickups much. Other than that consider it seriously if your looking for a Superstrat. Your'e going to be hard pressed to get anything better for less than a grand let alone half as much! If someone nicked it or it got lost I'd definately get another. Like what else are you gonna get? A Ibanez RG1570?

Never broke, never let me down, always does what I want. No problems. I did overtighten the top lock nut and nackered the threads on the screw cost about 50p. My fault but would be nice to have higher quality bolts for the top lock nut.

Factory setup as mentioned not optimal for metal. But don't blame Maverick, it's very good for blues and Pink Floydy, jingly jangly stuff (I'm giving it a 9 purely because as a "shredding" guitar I want a "shredding" factory setup).

I won't go into the features too much as you can get them from maverickguitars.co.uk or look at a photo. I got this 2004 model off eBay. They are made in the far east and then finished in the UK I think, but I don't care really as the build quality is alot higher than I would expect to pay 599 for. I'd usually expect to pay 1000+ for this type of finish. It's got 24 frets and a mega fast neck, but bear in mind that if you get one, the factory set up is not optimal if you like playing metal/thrash etc. you'll have do have a fiddle yourself or get a pro to do it (cost about 20 and a set of strings). If you get it right, the action is as low as you're gonna get for a Strat with a floating trem (try sitting the trem a little lower aswell if you can to get the action down further). Controls are good. No noise or crackling, but don't be fooled by the roller controls. They look cool and are handy to be built the way they are but they'll take a bit to get used to. You also get a bit confused when switching between the Maverick and say a Les Paul where you have "knobs" instead of the rollers and end up sometimes doing the wrong thing. Pickups loud as hell, very good with loads of gain so if you like metal and pinch harmonics etc. it's just the job, beleive me. Trem. is a floyd so if you've never used one before they can take some time to get properly settled in when putting a new set of strings on and can take a while. Once done though, doesn't go out of tune. Again your guitar setup should take carer of it if the factory hasn't done it already (I've got 3 springs in with gauge 9's and it never goes out of tune, unless I'm being stupid with it).