X-1 review by Maverick

Maverick: X-1

Purchased from: local guitar store

I am using this guitar with my Peavey Ultra Tube amp, NOFX. Well this guitar is very much a metal guitar in terms of looks but it is actually pretty versitile, with the pickup selector on neck with the coil split and some reverb from the amp you get a kind of surf sound. If you put it on the neck humbucker, you get this really lovely thick clean sound that distorts a little because of the high output pickups but that's ok because on a good tube amp, it sounds very nice indeed. The bridge had ok cleans but it's really better for distortion, this guitar has very good distortion, the sound on it is very bassy tho and it can sound a bit saturated if you EQ your amp to have too much bass so as you can imagine, the neck pickup isn't really that much of an option for distortion. Even on high gain, there is very little background noise from the humbucker settings (1, 3, 5) but settings 2 and 4 on the 5-way are quite noisy given that they are single coil settings.

I play rock and metal and a bit of Indie and punk music and this works well for the first two definitely but I don't know about the latter because apart from the fact that it looks like a proper goth guitar (ever heard of Cradle Of Filth, Marylin Manson and Wednsday 13? Well their bassists all have the bass version of this guitar). It sounds like one too, although I think that could be to do with the string gauge and the type of amp I have. I have been playing for 2 years this christmas ('06) and I own the amp I mentioned, a Peavey bass amp which I use for guitar aswell, a Dean Z and a really crappy guitar which was my crap attempt at building one. My favorite thing about this guitar is the sound and how bloody cheap it was! Just goes to show how a little knowledge about trems can go a long way. If it were stealed I would probably kill the bastard Who stole it and get it back but if that happened I dunno what I'd do because I doubt I would be able to find another one. There's not really much I wish it had apart from maybe an OFR and 2 voulme controls because I never use the tone.

This guitar is very reliable, the paint is very solid, the strap buttons haven't failed me at all yet (but straploks are gd just in case) The hardware is all gd and the electronics all work. The bolt-on neck is a bit of a liability but it's held on there strongly so I don't think there is much problem of that happening.

I don't know how the factory set this guitar up because it was second-hand but when I got it, the guitar just wouldn't stay in tune, which I think is why I got it so cheap. The reason was that the previous owner had put heavy gauge strings on it but he hadn't bothered to put any more springs in the trem, so I just put 2 more in in and byu, problem solved! However when I did that I had to raise the action quite a bit because of the extra string tension pulling the bridge down, everything else was fine really, I didn't have to adjust the pickups (you can't anyway) and all of the hardware was all good.

I have no idea when this guitar was made, I bought it second-hand. This is the old version, it's a bit slab-sided compared to the new one with the scuplted top, it doesn't have the sparkly paintwork or the set in knobs, it also has black hardware but I don't really mind, it is a solid black with black hardware, as I said. It has a floyd rose system in it, it has a volume and a tone control and a 5-way superswitch which does coil-splitting. It didn't come with any accsesories.

alliwant
    Just played one at my local music shop. 250 second hand...I need to go back and buy it!
    pete91z
    This guitar is the business! It looks great and has a fantastic bright sound. I use it for playing blues, jazz and metal styles. Defintely my best guitar, and I'd recommend anyone who gets the opportunity to purchase one to go for it.