Setius GTM 6 review by Mayones

Mayones: Setius GTM 6

Purchased from: Mid Air Music

My musical style is mainly metal and shred, with bands like Children of Bodom, Megadeth, Pantera etc. being the type of tones I'd wish to recreate. I use it through a cheap amp (Peavey Bandit 112) but it sounds absolutely incredible, the DiMarzio's can really dish out the gain without losing clarity, which is perfect for shredding. And the guitar has beautiful cleans as well, something which is quite rare for a guitar that works so well under high gain. Overall the tone is extremely versatile and can suit pretty much any style of music perfectly, and despite the extremely thin, lightweight body it has a surprising amount of sustain.

I've been playing 3 and a bit years, and over that time I have accumulated around 14 different guitars, and tried out many others. The Mayones kicks all their asses, then wipes the floor with them and chucks them in a bin. When I went to Mid Air I compared it with a Dean Razorback V 255, a Dean Razorback Explosion, a Jackson Phil Demmel 'Demmelition' King V, and a Dean MAB1, but the Setius GTM won hands down. The biggest statement this guitar makes is when you play it - if you're crap, you'll play good. If you're good, you'll play amazing. So don't let the price tag or the goofy brand name (Mayones is pronounced the same way as 'mayonnaise') put you off. Pick it up, plug it in and you'll discover a new level of playing within yourself, and I honestly do not believe words can justify how brilliant this guitar is.

I think this guitar could withstand extensive gigging. You get a free Mayones hardcase with the purchase, so it's well protected throughout its travels, and thanks to the straplocks, your strap never comes off! I could very easily depend on this guitar for a live set, but just in case I'd have my trusty Ibanez RG42DXFM as a backup. Not saying the Mayones is liable to be broken, but its so good someone might steal it.

When I first tried out the guitar, I knew it was in a league of its own. The action was set extraordinarily low, yet there was not one fret which had even a hint of fret buzz. The neck is thin too, allowing you to get the perfect position for sweeps with ease, and it seems to fit the palm of your hand perfectly for riffing. And unlike most guitars with rosewood fretboards, the frets aren't dry, and I didnt need to use GHS Fast Fret to lubricate it before I played it. Another thing I love about this guitar is the back and sides of the guitar have a beautiful glistening gloss finish; but the back of the neck has a natural satin finish. I don't know if you've ever played a guitar with a natural satin finish on the back of the neck, but they just feel so smooth and natural to play. So top marks for playability here.

Fixed bridge 'double cutaway' with Mahogany body and Flamed Maple top in several color options, gloss body / matt neck. Bolt-on construction, 5 pcs Mahogany-Maple neck, plain Rosewood fingerboard and Standard 25,4" scale. This guitar also comes equipped with Schaller M6 tuners, Schaller straplocks, DiMarzio Air Norton pickups w/coil taps and a fitted Mayones hardcase. The guitar is finished in 'Monolith Black'. The flamed maple top gives this black a very nice effect. I would have preferred a neck through body, but as this guitar has an all-access neck heel I'm not complaining.

Nugma
    Only heard great things about Mayones, some of my favourite guitarists play them and even though they look expensive, the concept behind them seems solid.
    mattkendell
    Pick it up, plug it in
    That's what she said!
    and you'll discover a new level of playing within yourself
    Slaytan666
    Hells.Mascot wrote: I played guitar on the toilet today.
    Congratulations. Those nice people at the special olympics baked you a fresh batch of hero cookies in recognition of your amazing achievement. Too bad you forgot to wipe your ass. =P
    6stringxsamurai
    well when you compare handbuilt guitars made by real Luthiers to mass produced garbage like mid-level Deans...of course it's going to be better! So would a Carvin or any other handbuilt guitar...you're comparing apples to oranges. and I cant fathom that someone who's only been playing 3-4 years really knows anything about guitars anyway.
    cl94
    robbit
    cl94 wrote: Most of you do not know that these guitars are Polish, It shows that not only Americans can make amazing guitars, And you should have a look at their custom shop, u can virually ask for almost anything. They are really amazing
    I personally think American guitars are quite bad. This brand makes incredible guitars. The only company (that makes guitars aimed at metal) that comes close in Amfisound. Its a bit expensive for me but a friend had (and sold) one for a bit. Sounded like jesus
    EpiExplorer
    mattkendell wrote: Pick it up, plug it in That's what she said! and you'll discover a new level of playing within yourself I've heard of playing with yourself...but not within yourself. Sounds uncomfortable, but if anybody can vouch with playing within yourself let me know, because it sounds exotic.
    And then the mood was ruined and we had to call it a night.
    MRoby
    The pickups dish out a lot of gain? Yeah, and that's just the air nortons. Guitar looks gorgeous.
    chrisatgrace
    Ghefly wrote: chrisatgrace wrote: 14 guitars? Sounds like you have too much money. You should trade one or two of those in and get an amp that isn't awful. Reviewer said they had accumulated over 14 guitars. Maybe he's only had 3 at a time but sold some and bought some.
    Hey also says he's been playing for three years...just saying it seems a bit excessive.
    Pretty. Odd.
    6stringxsamurai I cant fathom that someone who's only been playing 3-4 years really knows anything about guitars anyway.
    You're kidding, right? That's going right past the boundaries of elitism straight into ridiculous. Been curious about these since I found out about them from Bloodbath, I'd love to have a go on one. Review seems to corroborate the reputation these things have. Probably the only time I've seen a 9.8 on a review that wasn't completely nonsensical.
    loinmute
    +1 For the small company luthiers. I would really like to try one out, I would bet it's amazing. Kudos for the |PuP options too.
    chrisatgrace
    Magnog wrote: chrisatgrace wrote: 14 guitars? Sounds like you have too much money. You should trade one or two of those in and get an amp that isn't awful. since when are peavey awful you clueless little gimp, **** me.
    Since the last time I heard any of their products? And clueless little gimp? Bugger off. All I was trying to say is that for someone who owns so many (apparently expensive) guitars, he has a rather low end amp, that in my opinion, sounds awful.
    Gary.Blizzard
    chrisatgrace wrote: blahblahblahblah
    Do you regularly check back to columns you posted on to see if someone replied to your response?
    theangelofmeth
    That's what I did man. I was considering getting a Peavey 6505+ but I played this and was just like 'Screw the Peavey, this plays too well', although yeah I am aware I need an amp upgrade xD
    theangelofmeth
    The Interlude wrote: that looks like seymour duncan pickups, not dimarzios DiMarzio Air Norton pickups w/coil
    You get a choice of DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan or EMG pickups when you order this guitar, and my model came with DiMarzios and coil taps, and its in black, so it in fact looks a lot different from the picture UG supplied
    jrandmb
    bananu7 wrote: Mayones is a polish brand, and it makes really good guitars. Many polish guitarists play on them, still it isn't very well known. If I had to choose I'd rather buy a RG, however they're at least good.
    Wes Borland plays a mayones, so does a guitarist and the bassist for My Dying Bride. Very nice looking guitars, would have a multiple orgasm if I bought one.
    Good_Lord
    von gelb wrote: chrisatgrace wrote: You should trade one or two of those in and get an amp that isn't awful. For a solid state, the Peavey Bandit is in fact a pretty good amp.
    Yup ... the bandit 112 is kinda nice , but the lead channel sucks ... but get a good pedal and on clean channel it has a nice sound.
    Magnog
    since when are peavey awful you clueless little gimp, **** me.
    bananu7
    Maddister
    I can vouch for Mayones. I've had the chance to obtain one of their limited edition Element series and I can safely say it has been (By far) the most receptive and comfortable guitar I've ever had the chance to play throughout my 9 years of playing.
    XtremesWolf
    if you check the site you would see that different pu are available, here is the list * H-H / Seymour Duncan Jazz (neck) + Jeff Beck (bridge) * H-H / Seymour Duncan P Rails (neck + bridge) * H-H / DiMarzio Air Norton (neck + bridge) * H-H / EMG 85 (neck) + 81 (bridge)
    Ghefly
    theogonia777
    Kikuta wrote: Hehe... Mayonaise.
    this. also, it should say "if you're crap, you'll play well "
    i have a smaller amp from that same series, and it is pretty damn good. probably the closest i've ever heard a solid state come to sounding like tubes. i've never heard of this brand of guitars, but it looks very nice, i'll have to look into them a bit.
    Lord Waltaa
    I've been saving up for this guitar for about a year now For anyone's intrest, here's the homepage: http://www.mayones.com/ Whenever I'm bored I browse this site over and over, because it's just so epic. (There's an app where you can build your own custom guiter too, it's awesome) P.S.: Sorry if spam
    von gelb
    For a solid state, the Peavey Bandit is in fact a pretty good amp.
    DarkValo666
    That truly is my dream guitar. Period. I'm definitely going to get one once I'm starting to work in Sepember.