Hex Deluxe review by Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly: Hex Deluxe

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

I play a wide Variety of Music, everything from Jazz to Death metal, and the guitar suits all those styles very well. I play through a Peavey 6505 head and a Marshall 4X12 cabinet. The 08 models came with EMG 81-85's but for 09 they switched to Rockfield, which are not far off from the EMG's tone wise.

I play in a Progressive Death Metal band, and the guitar is perfect for the kind of stuff I play. I have been playing guitar for 7 years and have played tons of guitars and the Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe is the best guitar I've owned and played. I play it everyday as my main guitar, and it is as good if not better then a Real ESP. I would encourage every guitar player to pick one of these beautiful instruments up ASAP.

This guitar would own the stage live. All of the hardware is extremely durable. The strap buttons are very reliable, I have never had the guitar fall without strap locks. The Original Floyd Rose never goes out of tune, so tuning would never be an issue unless a string broke. I would always use a backup guitar.

When I got the guitar it was perfectly set up and ready to play. I didn't have to do anything but lower the action a bit. The pickups were the correct height. The guitar had no cosmetic flaws at all. The only thing I noticed was that the locking nut had sharp points that are kind if annoying when playing on the 1st fret. After changing the strings and adjusting the Truss rod. I was able to achieve an incredibly low action, which makes it great for fast technical playing.

I have a 2009 model, It was crafted in Korea. It has a 24 fret 25.5 scale set through neck with an Ebony fretboard. The neck is quite thin, almost like a Jackson's. It has a beautiful Carved top with a stunning Blood red flame top finish. The neck is maple and the body is Mahogany. It comes equipped with an Original Floyd Rose tremolo, Rockfield Black Betty active humbuckers, and Grover tuners. It has one Volume, 2 tomes, and a 3 way selector Switch.