Patriot Black review by Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly: Patriot Black

Purchased from: The Pied Piper

This guitar is a metal guitarists dream! The Rockfield pickups have the most amazing crunch that can be used from anything from alternative to the heaviest of metal riffs. They don't have the greatest high end, but this gives me a sort of advantage. When I Switch over to the neck pickup and roll the tone back a bit, I can get a really muddy sound that is great for the alternative style of massive distortion for songs like Cherub Rock and Well Thought Out Twinkles. This is my main guitar and I play it through Line 6 Spider Valve 112. Don't listen to any of the demos on the Rockfield website. I don't know what is up with Rockfield, but he must have his guitars wired some strange way because his demos have so much buzz, but these pickups are completely silent. Of course, there is buzz when you coil tap, but not nearly as much as you would hear on a Strat.

This guitar looks amazing, almost like a Schecter blackjack atx, and sounds amazing for anything rock and metal. I've been playing for two years and I have to say, out of ibanezes, epiphones, fenders, and esps, this guitar has played the best out of all of them. This company really reminded me of Schecter or vice versa, which ever came first. The high end hardware on lower end guitars really show that there is a company looking out for people on a budget and I have fallen in love with Michael Kelly after I played this guitar. I have been looking for the perfect guitar and I have found it! The only thing I would add would probably be Sperzel locking tuners. Other than that, this guitar is perfect.

This guitar holds tuning pretty well, but because it does not have locking tuners, the strings tend to slip every now and then. The strap buttons are large and very solid and I have had no problem with the strap slipping. I play in a band, but we have not played at a venue for some time so I have yet to play this guitar Live, but I think I'd be able to play this guitar without a backup, but any experienced guitarist could tell you it isn't a good idea, but it's hard to have a backup guitar that doesn't play as well as this thing!

Well, here's where the rating tends to go down a little. The bridge was a little low on the right side so I had a few dead notes, but with the simplicity of the TonePros tune o matic bridge, this was easily fixed, but the neck is almost convex so the strings are a little close to the fretboard, but no dead notes. The pickups are mounted to the body so they were perfectly adjusted. I actually like this look and feature on the guitar because it's a very clean and effective way of mounting the pickup. I have noticed a few spots on the side of the neck where the binding is a little chipped and there is a small Dot of paint on the binding on the top of the headstock. There are also a few imperfections on the body where it looks like the paint was a little smeared around the pickups but it is barely noticible at all.

This guitar was probably made in 2008-2009 in Korea. It has an amazing black satin finish on the entire body that looks as amazing as it feels. The body is mahogany and the neck is also mahogany. It is set-neck construction, but the interesting this is that the joint is angled so that upper access to the frets is a lot easier than other guitars. It has a 24.75" scale with an ebony fretboard and medium jumbo frets. It has two Rockfield Fatass humbuckers, 1 volume and 1 tone that is push/pull. It has grover tuners and a tonepros tune o matic bridge. I also believe it has a graphite nut. This is the first guitar I have owned with coil tap and an ebony fretboard and I am astonished on how versatile these two things are. The ebony fretboard feels like butter with slides and the satin paint works very well so playing this neck is effortless. The coil tap is very helpful, too. The clean tone is pretty dense on full humbuckers so the coil tap is really helpful.

billieo420
    I have the patriot black and i think this axe is kick ass for the bucks.Its well made and sounds great,would be a bargin at twice the price.I own several other axes and i always seem to be playing this one..job well done p:s I paid 499.00
    JordanToenails
    I got this guitar for 250. Its amazing to say the least. It was "used", but it's in perfect shape. No joke.