Patriot Glory review by Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly: Patriot Glory

Purchased from: Music123.com

At first I wasn't too sure about the sound of the pickups on this guitar. They were a little too "fat" compared to my other guitars. I play mostly metal and hardcore and have been so used to Duncans or EMGs that when I first plugged it in I was a little worried. But now this is my favorite guitar- I have two others, both LTDs, one with EMGS (81-60)and the other with Seymour Duncan (JB and '59). Now those other pickups just sound thin to me. Once I readjusted the eq on my amp (6505+) I was in heaven. I get the high gain sound I love but with nice creamy overtones. It is definately a unique sound, I have yet to hear any other pickups that sound like this. Also playing on a clean channel you can get several different sounds by using the coil taps, nice round Jazz cleans, gritty bluesy cleans, compressed twangy cleans LOL. It's a very versatile guitar! I used to have a Gibson with the 490s in it and I remember those being pretty beefy but I ended up selling it because it always just sounded muddy. These Rockfield SWCs are "Fat" and clear! What more can I say. The guitar plays beautifully nice in-between neck size, not Les Paul thick and not Ibanez thin, I nice happy medium! The body is definitely not light as far as weight, but again, comparing it to a Gibson Les Paul it is way more comfortable. I'm giving this section a 9, just because these pickups have so much tone you can't use any other guitars that don't have the SWCs in them as backups! At shows I have to readjust my eq when I Switch to another guitar. This isn't a bad thing - just can't give it a 10 as far as sound. Sound is always subjective.

-Metal/Hardcore/Punk... This guitar works quite well. Although I don't think it was really intended for these styles of music. If you play Rock, Classic Rock, Cock Rock, whatever... You probably love this guitar. -I've been playing about 18yrs. Damn I'm an old fart. -If this guitar were stolen I would definitely buy another. I'm very impressed with Michael Kelly Guitars. I'm trying to decide right now between the new Hex and Vex series they have out. Buy a Michael Kelly now before their prices sky-rocket! These guitars have all the features you could want at a price that LOW!

-I play it Live all the time! It's SOLID. -Hardware is great! Pickup ring screws oxidize as they did on every guitar I've ever owned (Schecter, Gibson, LTD, Jackson) You think they'd use something else because it just looks nasty after they do that. -I changed the strap buttons to Schaller strap locks. I do this with all my guitars. They are easy to install, work perfectly, and don't look big and awkward like the Dunlop ones. -I think it is very dependable. I still bring a backup, because strings break and I don't wanna be the asshole changing his strings in the middle of a show. -The finish is great, I don't see this getting any wear anytime soon!

-The action was just a tad high for me when I got it but with the tune-o-matic bridge I adjusted that in no time. -Pickups were at the perfect height. -The top is beautiful! Online pictures do it no justice, check one out in person and you will be in awe. -No flaws that I could find!

-Made in 2007(?), Korea -22 medium jumbo frets -Quilted Maple cap, mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard with beautiful abalone and mother of pearl inlay -Transparent black finish -Single cut Les Paul style body -Stop tail tune-o-matic bridge -Rockfield SWC pickups -One volume. one tone control. coil taps, 3 way toggle -Grover tuners

Hakael
    Black Paranoia wrote: hmm probably it would need a pick up change the first thing because the Korean pick ups might not work correctly
    Have you even tried or heard Rockfield SWCs or are you just making an assumption?
    Mx023
    These guitars are great. Korean remakes of american products... those guys just know what they're doing. it's like how they make cars better than us... hate to admit it but it's the truth. I've got a friend who is one of those les paul FREAKS and i let him borrow it to try out and he didn't wanna give it back. The pickups work great. I got mine when it was $450 but even so they're very very good all-around guitars for the price. One thing i didn't see mentioned that's worth a notice is that Michael Kelly guitars always have some awesome designs for the fret inlays. Also the paint jobs on the kelly's, seem better than their american counterpart. To me they look, sound and play a lot more than other guitars around this price range.
    Guitar-Jem
    The Patriot Glory is my main guitar. The rockfield pups are very versitle. Great guitar, five stars all the way.
    Hakael
    Glasshawk
    I just bought the Glory in smoke burst as a second behind my BC Rich custom Mockingbird from 1997 (which by the way is a real collectible signed by Sr. and Jr. on the back of the machine head). Obviously there are some differences, but it really does sound better through my Marshall TSL100 and 1960 cabs than the Rich. By the way, the Rich has a Dimarzio DP223 at bridge which sounds incredible, but the Rockfield SWC bridge in this axe actually sounds better!
    petscar
    A friend who is an awesome player (he has a model that he designed for Heritage guitars which are old Gibson employees that didn't want to move from Kalamazoo and purchased the old Gibson factory) turned me on to Michael Kelly. My first purchase was a Custom. I loved it so much I bought a Glory because of its looks. These guitars look, sound & play awesome. IMO they play better than many (I am not saying all)Gibsons & Fenders. I own a 93 Gibson Studio & a 07 American Fender Strat Deluxe Ash. I pick up my MK's far more than my other guitars. They are a joy to play. With EQ adjustment I can get it to sound like my Gib only it has more versatility with coil splitting. My Fender has it's own tone thats hard to beat but the action is not as good as the MK's. I love these guitars so much I just bought a MK Hybrid (awesome)which looks better than a Taylor T5 and at 1/4 the cost so you can keep the Taylor. It also has the same pick ups as the Glory & Custom (Rockfield SWC) plus a Fishman for the acoustic side. Plus I just bought an LTD Active with EMG's 81/85's. EVERY guitar outshines the other one way or another. The QC is excellent on these guitars. Gibsons & Fenders have more QC problems than many of the guitars coming out of Korea. Japan had the market on electronics in the 80's but today Korea is making some of the best products worldwide. MK searched for the best Korean factory when they started in the 90's. Since then it was bought out by Hanser Music (BC Rich & other products) and they have maintained the QC. MK now has some less expensive guitars coming from China but stick with the Korean made guitars. They are awesome at an unbelievable price.
    Black Paranoia