Patriot Glory Review

manufacturer: Michael Kelly date: 05/06/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Michael Kelly: Patriot Glory
The Patriot Glory lives up to this high standard and then some! Adorned with an abalone and pearl scrolling neck inlay this Patriot is truly a source of admiration.
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
 3,917
review (1) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Patriot Glory Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2009

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: -Made in 2007(?), Korea -22 medium jumbo frets -Quilted Maple cap, mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard with beautiful abalone and mother of pearl inlay -Transparent black finish -Single cut Les Paul style body -Stop tail tune-o-matic bridge -Rockfield SWC pickups -One volume. one tone control. coil taps, 3 way toggle -Grover tuners // 10

Sound: At first I wasn't too sure about the sound of the pickups on this guitar. They were a little too "fat" compared to my other guitars. I play mostly metal and hardcore and have been so used to Duncans or EMGs that when I first plugged it in I was a little worried. But now this is my favorite guitar- I have two others, both LTDs, one with EMGS (81-60)and the other with Seymour Duncan (JB and '59). Now those other pickups just sound thin to me. Once I readjusted the eq on my amp (6505+) I was in heaven. I get the high gain sound I love but with nice creamy overtones. It is definately a unique sound, I have yet to hear any other pickups that sound like this. Also playing on a clean channel you can get several different sounds by using the coil taps, nice round Jazz cleans, gritty bluesy cleans, compressed twangy cleans LOL. It's a very versatile guitar! I used to have a Gibson with the 490s in it and I remember those being pretty beefy but I ended up selling it because it always just sounded muddy. These Rockfield SWCs are "Fat" and clear! What more can I say. The guitar plays beautifully nice in-between neck size, not Les Paul thick and not Ibanez thin, I nice happy medium! The body is definitely not light as far as weight, but again, comparing it to a Gibson Les Paul it is way more comfortable. I'm giving this section a 9, just because these pickups have so much tone you can't use any other guitars that don't have the SWCs in them as backups! At shows I have to readjust my eq when I Switch to another guitar. This isn't a bad thing - just can't give it a 10 as far as sound. Sound is always subjective. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: -The action was just a tad high for me when I got it but with the tune-o-matic bridge I adjusted that in no time. -Pickups were at the perfect height. -The top is beautiful! Online pictures do it no justice, check one out in person and you will be in awe. -No flaws that I could find! // 9

Reliability & Durability: -I play it Live all the time! It's SOLID. -Hardware is great! Pickup ring screws oxidize as they did on every guitar I've ever owned (Schecter, Gibson, LTD, Jackson) You think they'd use something else because it just looks nasty after they do that. -I changed the strap buttons to Schaller strap locks. I do this with all my guitars. They are easy to install, work perfectly, and don't look big and awkward like the Dunlop ones. -I think it is very dependable. I still bring a backup, because strings break and I don't wanna be the asshole changing his strings in the middle of a show. -The finish is great, I don't see this getting any wear anytime soon! // 10

Overall Impression: -Metal/Hardcore/Punk... This guitar works quite well. Although I don't think it was really intended for these styles of music. If you play Rock, Classic Rock, Cock Rock, whatever... You probably love this guitar. -I've been playing about 18yrs. Damn I'm an old fart. -If this guitar were stolen I would definitely buy another. I'm very impressed with Michael Kelly Guitars. I'm trying to decide right now between the new Hex and Vex series they have out. Buy a Michael Kelly now before their prices sky-rocket! These guitars have all the features you could want at a price that LOW! // 10

Comments