Patriot Hot Rod Review

manufacturer: Michael Kelly date: 01/18/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Michael Kelly: Patriot Hot Rod
The Patriot Hot Rod is a chrome plated dream machine. It features the unique SonicArt bridge. This solid metal bridge is visually stunning and sonically important. The additional mass and added bridge-to-body contact improves tone and resonance.
 8.4
 8.8
 7.9
 1,530
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Patriot Hot Rod Reviewed by: hardhead73, on january 18, 2006

Purchased from: Music123

Features: - PAF Vintage pickups (tapped coil) - Chrome flame shaped bridge - Satin black and lava red finishes - Grover tuners - Mahogany body - Rosewood fretboard - Body and neck fully bound. Set neck construction - Two volume pots, two push/pull tone pots, 3-way Switch - Body style-shaped like a Les Paul The satin black model comes with a flame inlay on the first three frets and dot inlays on the other regular frets. The Lava Red model does not have the flame inlay, but has square greenish shell inlays. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Carvin SX-100 amp and a POD 2.0. I play metal, blues and some rock. This guitar fits all three very nicely. It has a nice clean tone, but can get dirty when you want it to. This is a good all around guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is the lowest I've played. This by far the easiest guitar I've ever played. With the exception of the intonation on the low E string being slightly off, this guitar was set up perfectly. The neck pickup was a bit stubborn at first, but it's been working perfectly for the two weeks I've owned it. The finish is beautiful. The red color reminds me of a Wild Cherry Lifesaver. Along with the black control knobs and the chrome flame shaped bridge, this thing is nearly a work of art. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Patriot Hot Rod seems tough enough to withstand live playing without trouble. All the hardware is solid and sturdy. I haven't banged the body up against anything yet (and I don't intend to do so) so I really can't comment on how well the finish will hold up. I would probably have a back up for this guitar, but only based on my experience with the neck pickup. // 9

Overall Impression: If this guitar were lost or stolen, I'd replace it in a heart beat. I had originaly wanted the black finish, but I have fallen in love with the red and would replace it with the exact same one. This guitar has a very cool look to it and plays well. I haven't been able to put it down for very long since I got it. // 9

Comments