Patriot Premium review by Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly: Patriot Premium

Purchased from: musicians friiend

I Play a wide vearity of music and this gutar works well for all of them, but with the emgs in this good chuck of wood it is meant for metal. I plugged it into a Line 6 75 watt spider amp, and a Bugera V55Hd into a Bugera 212V-BK cab. The solid state spider amp was clean amd tight with no real noise coming from it because of the guitar. The tubes on the Bugera made this guitar come to life, the harmonics jumped off the guitar and the range that I could get from screaming metal to classic light distortion was easy to get with just a flick of the volume knob. Muddy tones were a fun new exploration as I am used to single coil pickups on my other guitars, This made for hours of testing and finding new tones from the neck pickup. For a guitarist like me who loves to find new things after all these years is just like a kid at Christmas.

Overall this guitar is a very good choice for anyone who wants to have a quality guitar that plays like a dream and looks that will catch a hotties eyes. The fit and finish is quite high for me and I have owned quite a few of the "Name" guitars. Everyone has their own choices but don't overlook this guitar for the price it is definitley worth a look. The downfall of this guitar is the marketing. The availablity of this guitar makes it hard to try before you buy. I live in a major metro area and I had to search for this one. I am happy I did. I will never give this one up.

Like I said before this guitar is my first choice. I had it for a year now and it is still as good as new. I always change out the stock strap buttons to the Dunlop strap locks, this is on all of my guitars. I have 3 guitars on stage with me and I use them all but this one is always ready to play for me, This is my first guitar with active electronics, I was worried about the battery life, but I have found that I change batteries less than I thought so that is good.

Musicians friend takes care to send the guitar in a "ready to play" state. I had no problem taking the guitar out of the box and plugging it in. Played for 3 hours and I found no real flaws. I did learn right away the volumn knobs were not exactly what I would expect. To me they are backwards but other than that i did like the binding on this guitar. That gave this beauty and very nice finish and showed the craftmanship that rivals guitars that cost way more.

I received this guitar for my birthday in 2009 (thanks Baby), So This is a Korean made guitar that is a 24 medium jumbo fret on a rosewood set neck. The Classic single cut design is the first one I have owned and like it. This guitar is like the other patriots but with EMG 81& 85 active humbuckers. The gotoh tuners make tuning stable and the string thru design makes this beast sing for days. The quilted top with transparent red with bindings on all the face edges was a good choice by the wife and definitely Shine when hit with stage lights. This guitar quickly became my first choice for playing.

barden1069
    xicetraex wrote: Will catch a hotties eyes? Come on now.
    Haha I like how he mentioned that and then went on to talk about his wife. Looks like a good guitar aesthetically, though I dislike EMGs but hey to each their own...
    yukonchuck06
    I just got a MKelly PATRIOT SHADOW.. With coil tappin EMGS, these guitars make PRS look cheap...Trust me...
    jonny slickhead
    i like a michal kellly just as much as a prs i think these are built way bettter but im not that smart
    EpiExplorer
    xicetraex wrote: Will catch a hotties eyes? Come on now.
    Yeah, you'd need something more crazy. Still, this IS a nice guitar, quilted tops are always fun to play with (its your own mind that thinks that sounded kinky) and EMGs are a bonus.
    98Timberwolf
    This guitar is a very good choice for anyone who wants to have a quality guitar that plays like a dream and looks that will catch a hotties eyes.
    Nothing against this guitar, but I'd try a RG550 in road flare red if you really want to catch a hottie's eye, and everyone else's within ten miles come to think of it.