Patriot Q review by Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly: Patriot Q

Purchased from: Jenning's Music

I play a lot of rock/blues in my band, and I tend to go into random solos at any moment, and this guitar can handle all of it. The tone is rich and full, even through my cheap Behringer 15 watt V-Tone amp. This guitar can do a great range of tones, from clean to deep distortion, and all of the smooth blues licks in between. If you're going for a clean sound, then I'd suggest you pull up the tone knob buttons, or else the deep tone of the guitar will make it sound more distorted, but I've found this to be quite handy because if you play soft it'll be more clean, and if you pick up the pace and strum or pick harder the tone gets thicker and meatier.

This guitar fits me perfectly. The rich tone of the guitar fits my bluesy rock music, and through all of the solos, this guitar's sustain and tone has remained at a remarkable plateau of excellence. Overall this is a very beautiful guitar and It was a great deal for the price.

I've yet to see how sturdy this guitar is, but so far it has felt and sounded exactly the same as the day I got it. I would definitely play this at a gig without worrying about having a backup guitar, because ever since my last guitar (which I broke onstage after a song when the strap snapped in a guitar spin) I don't do stupid stunts on stage. As long as I don't throw it into a wall and jackhammer it, I'm entirely sure that this guitar will stand the test of time.

This guitar had perfect action straight out of the box, but that's to be expected from Jenning's (where I got it from) because Jeninng's goes above and beyond for you. The guitar came equipped with GHS electric guitar strings, which aren't bad, but definitely need changing within the first few months, as they're prone to breaking if you play too hard. I'd like to note that the fretboard was extremely smooth and super easy to play. I've played an Epiphone Les Paul (nearly the same design and in the same price range) and the Michael Kelly outright owns the Epiphone in this aspect.

This is a beautiful guitar by Michael Kelly, and it's equipped with a solid mahogany body with a quilted maple top. I has 22 Ultra smooth medium-jumbo frets, with dual PAF plus humbucker pickups that give it amazing distortion and tone. My favorite feature was the tone knobs. They pop out about half an inch, and make the sound a bit thinner when pulled out, and when pushed back in, they give the guitar a rich gutsy tone.

gwitersnamps
    BTW, that pull out thing is coil tapping. It shuts off one coil in the humbucker.
    hardhead73
    astrocreep71 wrote: Micheal Kelly guitars are nice, the music store where I live has a couple of them and they are expensive, but they are shaped like flames.
    That sounds like a Patriot Hot Rod. Michael Kelley doesn't seem to be making them anymore. Sad...it's a really nice guitar.
    JvL
    Mayht... what the **** is that for kind of comment? This review isn't about some shitty guy on you school but a guitar ... Rate the guitar (thing with snares that makes sound...you know?) and not the name ... Ok now my part: Haven't heard it but it's propably a nice quallity guitar, and it deffenitly looks nice! You know how much this guitar cost (or is gonna cost?)
    ereprac05
    You cannot outplay this guitar....it can handle Kirk Hammett solos as well as Zakk Wylde stuff (although to really hit that note you need 81/85's in pups.) Great value, I own this one, and I actually prefer this to my Gibson LP studio. The Guitarists from Silent Civilian play these guitars if that tells you anything. AMAZING! BUY YOURS NOW! You wont regret it.
    mayht
    Haha theres a dick in my school called Michael Kelly, he has no friends. Its a naice
    burningfire0011
    I have a M.k. Patriot Phoenix, blood red, maple top with flame inlays in the neck. This guitar plays better and sounds better than the Les Paul I had. It is a solid guitar and I had a special strap made for it because of the weight of this axe. For the money it goes head to head with any guitar on the market, and I have played quite a few guitars in my 50 plus years of playing! Save yourself a few thousand bucks and play one of these babys'.
    Edlebrock350
    I am looking into getting a Patriot Black. It sounds so good, and I love the sleek shiny black with the white trim. It makes it look like a grand piano almost. I was just wondering if its worth it and if anyone had played one and could offer their thoughts.
    slashguitar1234
    i played one of these at a sam ash store. it isthe second-best playing guitar ive ever played. the top one is the washburn idol 64
    scarfacesuit
    mine is the Amberburst finish, and it looks amazing. check musiciansfriend.com and look at the Amberburst. it looks awesome
    slash2005
    Motorcitycobra
    I'm seriously considering buying the Patriot Glory, which doesn't have a review and this seems like the closest one. The only real reservation I have is that as I improve as a lead guitarist I don't want to regret not getting a similarly priced jackson or traditional metal guitar. What I really want to know (and can't find out anywhere so far) is if my speed is going to top out on this guitar. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.
    Tedward
    How is this compared to the Shadow? And what sort of tones can the Michael Kelly's pull off?
    MESAexplorer
    These are good guitars, especially for the price. They have a different tone than Gibsons so you can't compare the two. They have Grover tuners so it stays in tune well, your standard hardtail bridge and 4 knobs (2 tone, 2 volume) and the 2 tone knobs have coil splitters. Just about all Michael Kelly's are under $700
    guitarNbass
    it's beautiful. I wonder if it plays like my EC-1000 ESP.does anybody know the price on that peace of work?
    plectrum911
    There should be an ignorance test for people who make rude comments about other people. This website is made for coments about music not people that you may not like.
    scarfacesuit
    I got this guitar for christmas, and I think my dad or someone talked the guy down from $350 to about $300, but he won't tell me the exact price.
    astrocreep71
    Jdfs1
    slash2005 wrote: they dont make hotrods anymore i have one im smiling hopefully its rare enough so that when i sell it as an old man i get a good price thats if dinosaurs dont come back and kill music which they probably will dont ask how, just watch your fossils closely and your patriot hotrods if your cool enough to have one micheal kelly guitars are good, patriot q is probably about as good as my hotrod, maybe a bit cheaper, it couldnt posably b, nothing is.. accept fat homemade picks
    I swear ur and idiot