Vex Deluxe review by Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly: Vex Deluxe

Purchased from: GAK

I mainly play metal with a bit of blues on the side and the Rockfields sound great for the genres. They may not have the same clarity or bite as EMGs but they have alot more warmth and low mids to them. There is also alot of sustain from the guitar which is always a good characteristic. I have played this through a Peavey 6505 Plus, Orange Tiny Terror and a Line 6 Spider Valve and it sounds amazing through all of them on both clean and distortion.

I've had this guitar for almost a year now and it has served me well. Since I purchased this I've been paying more attention to Michael Kelly guitars and I strongly recommend them to others. I would probably buy one of these again if it was stolen or lost.

I have used this live when my main guitar is out of action as this is my backup guitar and it holds up admirably and maintains its tuning very well too. The finish is pretty tough too, only a single small dent near the jack from when I dropped it onto a concrete driveway.

Nice action when I bought it and there hasn't been any problems with said action either, howver, I have had some problems with the pickup select switch not fully switching from the neck to the bridge. Although I have fixed this issue, it would have been nice if I didn't have to in the first place.

Set-through neck boasting an ebony fretboard with 24 medium jumbo frets and a 25.5 inch scale length. The body is mahogany and features an arched top. Also has a tune-o-mtic bridge, string through body design, Grover tuners and Rockfield Black Betty active pickups. The colour is Blood Red.

no lolage
    My brother has one of these and I have the Patriot custom. They really are instruments of a high quality. He plays his one of these as often as he plays his tele or 7-string that are both double or more the price of this.....
    Overtone09
    Just realised I should have mentioned that it was in the end of line sales when i got it, they are like 599 normally though.
    AcousticMetal99
    MaggaraMarine
    AcousticMetal99 wrote: absolutely beautiful, never actually played one, but looks like the easiest high fret access I have ever seen! pretty sweet this > tele
    Your comment is kind of stupid because tele and this guitar are pretty different. Tele has passive single coils (that means twang), this has active humbuggies (that means anti-twang). Tele is not made for metal and I think this is. Two very different guitars, you shouldn't compare them.
    Dubsak
    I have this guitar, and I love it. I actually prefer the sound of the Rockfields over EMG's. This guitar is well made, has quality hardware, is lightweight and well balanced, and the finish is beautiful(I have the black vapor finish). These were my first Rockfield pups, and I was pleasantly surprised. I tried Schecter Hellraisers, LTD MH1000's, and LTD H1001's...and this, and I'm very happy with my choice. I wish the headstock was more conventionally styled, but I'll gladly live with it for the price I paid. The neck is fantastic...has better playability than almost any guitar I've owned. Buy it and love it!!!