Vex Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Michael Kelly date: 01/12/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Michael Kelly: Vex Deluxe
Set-through neck boasting an ebony fretboard with 24 medium jumbo frets and a 25.5 inch scale length. Since I purchased this I've been paying more attention to Michael Kelly guitars and I strongly recommend them to others.
 7.2
 7.4
 2,430
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Vex Deluxe Reviewed by: Overtone09, on january 12, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Set-through neck boasting an ebony fretboard with 24 medium jumbo frets and a 25.5 inch scale length. The body is mahogany and features an arched top. Also has a tune-o-mtic bridge, string through body design, Grover tuners and Rockfield Black Betty active pickups. The colour is Blood Red. // 8

Sound: I mainly play metal with a bit of blues on the side and the Rockfields sound great for the genres. They may not have the same clarity or bite as EMGs but they have alot more warmth and low mids to them. There is also alot of sustain from the guitar which is always a good characteristic. I have played this through a Peavey 6505 Plus, Orange Tiny Terror and a Line 6 Spider Valve and it sounds amazing through all of them on both clean and distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Nice action when I bought it and there hasn't been any problems with said action either, howver, I have had some problems with the pickup select switch not fully switching from the neck to the bridge. Although I have fixed this issue, it would have been nice if I didn't have to in the first place. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have used this live when my main guitar is out of action as this is my backup guitar and it holds up admirably and maintains its tuning very well too. The finish is pretty tough too, only a single small dent near the jack from when I dropped it onto a concrete driveway. // 7

Overall Impression: I've had this guitar for almost a year now and it has served me well. Since I purchased this I've been paying more attention to Michael Kelly guitars and I strongly recommend them to others. I would probably buy one of these again if it was stolen or lost. // 8

Comments